A thread for Tysen and variations on FAST - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2009, 03:36 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ped
At the risk of a bit of noise couldn't the Zin of the GC be changed to 100k with a few resistor swaps?
It could well be possible, but not my area of expertise.

dave
Old 15th May 2009, 04:26 PM   #22
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by infinia

No , just something that can do high SPL's ie at least 105dB/m steady and w/o sounding compressed when pushed with transients of 10 -15 dB more.

I guess what I'm really asking is...
Beside a different/sweeter SQ than the ubiquitous 7" midwoof and dome two way's could these things hang when pushed hard.
Based on the larger helper woofers listed in my above post.

Aside from the observation that those are dangerously high SPL's, and personally don't make sense for any domestic situation I've ever encountered, I'd suggest that for a system with these capabilities, you'd need to look at professional PA gear.

Our friend Mr Weldon might well have some suggestions, but it's probably safe to say that the components and enclosures wouldn't be tiny.
Old 16th May 2009, 01:57 AM   #23
brookbh is offline brookbh  United States
diyAudio Member

http://creativesound.ca/details.php?model=MT27KITA

A bookshelf kit, available from css, duh. Im sure most people know about it, but anyways i thought it was worth a discussion. Atleast the drivers it utilizes are.
Old 16th May 2009, 02:16 AM   #24
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb

Aside from the observation that those are dangerously high SPL's, and personally don't make sense for any domestic situation I've ever encountered, I'd suggest that for a system with these capabilities, you'd need to look at professional PA gear.
Cool I guess I'm considered undomesticated by someones standards. I like to crank it sometimes when I'm feeling good you know like it's party time.

I wouldn't label 105 dB/m dangerous... IMO the short term transients are less than some everyday industial environments (think big saws/planers and nail guns). Like I said I just really want to know if they can keep up with a good 7" and 1" dome that's all. No PA needed thanks.
Old 16th May 2009, 02:29 AM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't label 105 dB/m dangerous... IMO the short term transients
105 dB peaks then (so nominal 95 dB or less average levels)? Still loud... but doable. Best to choose a more efficient mid-tweeter (FE126eN for instance -- you'd need a good 20 W mid-tweeter amp) and probably a bigger (or more or both) bass drivers.

dave
Old 16th May 2009, 02:43 AM   #26
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hoping there's a pair @ this yrs. 'fest!
Don
Old 16th May 2009, 03:17 AM   #27
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

105 dB peaks then (so nominal 95 dB or less average levels)? Still loud... but doable. Best to choose a more efficient mid-tweeter (FE126eN for instance -- you'd need a good 20 W mid-tweeter amp) and probably a bigger (or more or both) bass drivers.

dave

105 dB by looking at what the 10" peerless can do at Xmax, so with baffle step the mid/tweet s/b around 100 dB on paper. But I run stuff hotter than the limits Unibox gives but really depending on the musical content. So subjective opinions would be useful by experienced buiders I think. I normally use morel/dynaudio 28mm ferrofluid tweets and a usher 7" midbass.
Old 16th May 2009, 04:14 AM   #28
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Cool I guess I'm considered undomesticated by someones standards. I like to crank it sometimes when I'm feeling good you know like it's party time.

I wouldn't label 105 dB/m dangerous... IMO the short term transients are less than some everyday industial environments (think big saws/planers and nail guns). Like I said I just really want to know if they can keep up with a good 7" and 1" dome that's all. No PA needed thanks.
You might want to consider:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

sorry, but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, so here goes:

I've worked in an industrial woodworking shop for over 15years with virtually every type of heavy equipment and hand held power tool you're likely to find. 8 hours of exposure to in excess of (measured) 95dBA is freaking loud, even with custom molded hearing protection.

We get our hearing tested every year for WCB, and while the degree varies among individuals ( age certainly being a contributing factor ), no matter whether it's old guys like me (58) or the young-ens (18yrs), after the second year, there is almost universal pattern of increasing deterioration in overall sensitivity, low level acuity and high frequency response. Furthermore, in my own case, the exposure has precipitated and exacerbated non-stop tinitus, which can vary in intensity and pitch or beating. You can listen through it to a degree, but not without fatigue.

No doubt a PA, home or car audio system can be assembled that attains or even surpasses the 120dB levels without gross levels of distortion, but that doesn't mean prolonged exposure is safe or sane.

when it's gone, it's gone

sorry, rant off

As for " keeping up with a good 7" (mid/bass) and 1" dome ", it's probably safe to say that's very subjective.

The lack of XO networks in the most critically sensitive range of the telephone band is a major advantage that a "good" single driver or FAST system can have over the more conventional multiway. For many listeners, what the simpler systems lack in brute strength and extreme extension, they more than make up in terms of intimacy, micro-dynamics, inner detail and texture, soundstage dimension, to name a few aspects of the musicality of the event for which there are no standardized metrics.

Hell, the same could be said for the magic dance that some of us feel between a 3 watt DHT and high efficiency single driver BLH, but that's another can of worms that needn't be opened today....
Old 16th May 2009, 04:43 AM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by doorman
Hoping there's a pair @ this yrs. 'fest!
Don
We should at least have a facsimile.

dave
Old 21st May 2009, 02:40 AM   #30
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dave,

I'm exploring two options that may end up being similar.

One option is a PMC DB1+ clone [Clone of PMC DB1+ ???]

Second option is a modified Tysen. By modified I mean I'd like to fold the TL to make a smaller table-top or stand-mounting speaker.

In the end, the difference between these options may be down to a choice of XO frequency and front vs side mounted woofer.

What's your advice, opinion etc. on comparing these options ???
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!