A thread for Tysen and variations on FAST - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2009, 06:11 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default The Visit

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
(JesseG borrowed them, took them up to Alert Bay with the "threat" that i may never see them again )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tysen-in-jess-room.jpg (74.2 KB, 2982 views)
Old 14th May 2009, 08:45 PM   #12
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
I think I would like to try something like those ie a small full ranger as a mid/tweeter and a helper woofer.
But then it mostly would be a tweek fest with room placement and setting amp levels crossed highish at 333 Hz with the side firing woofer? I'm sure it could be sweet once dialed in tho.

Any tips on a current Parts Express/Madisound full ranger driver to go with a sealed Morel 8" or ported peerless 10" woofer. TIA
Old 14th May 2009, 10:10 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by infinia
Hi
I think I would like to try something like those ie a small full ranger as a mid/tweeter and a helper woofer.
But then it mostly would be a tweek fest with room placement and setting amp levels crossed highish at 333 Hz with the side firing woofer? I'm sure it could be sweet once dialed in tho.

Any tips on a current Parts Express/Madisound full ranger driver to go with a sealed Morel 8" or ported peerless 10" woofer. TIA
Did you have a particular FR driver in mind? FWIW, the choice of FF85K for this project was serendipitous, but not happenstance. This is one of the more under-rated little gems in the Fostex line-up.

For those with another taste (i.e. non-paper) , the Mark Audio CHR70 or Alpair 5 would be great candidates for this application, and no doubt any number of Tang Band drivers as well.

As for the tweek-fest, isn't that why we're DIYers? - any idiot could just buy a B0$e lifestyle system and be done with it
Old 14th May 2009, 11:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I can second the CHR70. It's an excellent value. A driver this cheap shouldn't sound this good. It also can handle 20W without a problem (and that should be ~60W if Fc>300Hz.)
Old 15th May 2009, 01:37 AM   #15
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dave,

I'm glad you've started this thread, long overdue if you don't mind me saying.

The Tysen was the one that got me thinking CSS drivers and some low end assistance for my MoonOnkens.

At some point this year the 'itch' to build speakers again will likely pull me back. I am leaning towards the Tysen sytle approach. But I want physically smaller boxes. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how these things develop
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 15th May 2009, 02:16 AM   #16
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb

Did you have a particular FR driver in mind?

No , just something that can do high SPL's ie at least 105dB/m steady and w/o sounding compressed when pushed with transients of 10 -15 dB more.

I guess what I'm really asking is...
Beside a different/sweeter SQ than the ubiquitous 7" midwoof and dome two way's could these things hang when pushed hard.
Based on the larger helper woofers listed in my above post.
Old 15th May 2009, 02:55 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The PLLXO

I'd love to know the values for that non-buffered PLLXO, I'm thinking I may try this with my FE126E/W15 FAST. The current cross is 200Hz and even though it sounds unreal the crossover should be a tad higher. I'd love to build this curcuit into my interconnects to bi-amp with my LM3875 GC's, seems like it could easily fit into the braid of some Techflex, Hmmmmmm...... You have me thinking now Dave.... Very Dangerous it seems as of late for me to think at all LOL....

If you can think of the values I'd love to hear them Dave, Peace and keep well.

Quote:
[i]

I thot i'd done a map of the XO, but i've not been able to find it... i may only have sketched it on paper.

dave [/B]
Old 15th May 2009, 05:31 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: The PLLXO

Quote:
Originally posted by speakrsrfun
I'd love to build this curcuit into my interconnects to bi-amp with my LM3875 GC's, seems like it could easily fit into the braid of some Techflex,
The values i used would probably work for the bass amp (10k, 0.1uF IIRC), but you are going to have to get creative to do 2nd order on the hi-pass as the input R on a gain clone is (usually) too low. what you will probably have to do is make the high pass gainclone into a 2nd order powered filter -- shrink the input C to move that pole up to where it needs to be, and then another C in the feedback loop for the other pole. Time to dig out the active filter cookbook.

dave
Old 15th May 2009, 02:24 PM   #19
ped is offline ped  United States
diyAudio Member

At the risk of a bit of noise couldn't the Zin of the GC be changed to 100k with a few resistor swaps?

And btw, what does FAST stand for?
Old 15th May 2009, 02:54 PM   #20
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Fullrange And Subwoofer Technology

Hide this!Advertise here!