A thread for Tysen and variations on WAW / FAST

An issue I see that gets glossed over with a miniDSP (and the like) is you have to like the sound of their ADC and DACs which comprise the unit.

We've all seen the efforts 'round here with DACs in getting them to sound transparent; I mean, how does one know that when tossing one of these units into your otherwise all analog system, you're not introducing sonic artifacts due to "jitter" or some other digitizing phenomena?

Dave, thanks for responding. I've not tried them upside down. I'll do that today. Does doing that help with integration with the woofer because they are in closer proximity? Maybe I should have built the cabinet per the plans. I was limited by the 1/2" birch ply my local dealer had was only 30" in length. I guess I could build a separate wedge-shaped enclosure. Thanks again for a great design and your assistance.

I decided to "purty" my project up and also get a little closer to Planet10's original design. I built a wedge shaped separate enclosure for the ff85wk the same dimensions as the section on his Tysen v2 plans. I attempted a little "TG" action on the front baffle. That's as close as I'll ever get to his level of craftsmanship. Again my reasoning for not following the original plan, my local supplier only had 30" tall BB plywood. Also, I'm cheap and had the RS 40-1354's on hand. Pretty good bass for one little 5 1/4" driver per box. These were part of a closeout stash purchased nearly 20 years ago for $5.00/driver.

Attachments

• IMG_0745[1].jpg
    IMG_0745[1].jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0746[1].jpg
    IMG_0746[1].jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 339
Reactions: 1 user
What are the limitations of pllxo’s?
Can they do notch filters etc? I don’t even know what else to ask, I’ve done very litttle with crossovers. Are they as “good” as normal crossovers in their capabilities?

But I’m curious and I have heaps of spare little amps floating around.