A thread for Tysen and variations on FAST - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2010, 06:46 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Chris made the suggestion that instead of propping the front up to get the right angle of fire on the FF85, we build a trapezoid similar to Scott Dunn's bipolar WR125.

This ended up working really well and turned out, IMO, fantastic from an aesthetic POV.

Note that instead of having an additional piece inside the box to support a woofer rebate, we surface mounted the woofer and later added an additional layer of 12mm to facilitate the rebate. Turns out this was a good thing, with the energy generated by the SDX7 the stethescope turned up more cabinet ringing than we like with just the 12mm walls. The extra layer also allows a larger bevel on the front.

dave

same caveat on these plans
Hi Dave, I just came across this thread and really like the Tysen idea, I have small guest room that has a nice very solid low bench with a LCD tv and the idea would have the Tyson for HT/music.

Have you actually built any Tysen's yet? If so are there any photo's? And what do you think of the overall performance? Would it be better to just add a active sub?

By the way, I'm in the middle of building the mFonken and will post pic's when I'm done. Cheers
Old 20th March 2010, 02:40 AM   #142
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes we built Tysen. 1st a woofer + uFonken version, and then the Trapezoid (now in California). Pictures are at the 1st of the thread.

dave
Old 29th March 2010, 01:05 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Hello planet10, is there a passive (not line level), x-over for the Tysen? If not, would an online x-over calculator be okay (of course taking into account the flattened impedance of the FF85k)? I realize the cap/inductor size will be large, but biamping is not possible. Thanks.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:33 AM   #144
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have considered a passive XO, but have avoided it because the SDX7 is not sensitive enuff to keep from padding down the FF85. I do have drivers for an alternative woofer(s) with the intention of doing a passive XO.

dave
Old 29th March 2010, 02:13 AM   #145
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have considered a passive XO, but have avoided it because the SDX7 is not sensitive enuff to keep from padding down the FF85. I do have drivers for an alternative woofer(s) with the intention of doing a passive XO.

dave
What's wrong padding down the FF85? Parallel a resistor to flatten its impedance some more, a zobel if you will without a cap. then add a small series one. Forming a wide band Lpad between the high pass and driver.
Old 29th March 2010, 02:55 AM   #146
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinia View Post
What's wrong padding down the FF85? Parallel a resistor to flatten its impedance some more
Against my philosophy. And our experiences with series Rs on FRs was not encouraging.

There isn't much flattening to be done on the FF85 impedance...

dave
Old 29th March 2010, 12:09 PM   #147
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Against my philosophy. And our experiences with series Rs on FRs was not encouraging.

There isn't much flattening to be done on the FF85 impedance...

dave
What is your philosophy?
Don't you agree that electrically changing Q's can sometimes allow the speaker to sound better, as pads also help amps, filters, and a speakers complex impedance play well together?
Old 29th March 2010, 07:19 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response.

What alternative woofers are you considering? Perhaps, a 10" would have enough sensitivity.

Also, are talking about 1st order filters (and hopefully no additional notches?)?
Old 29th March 2010, 07:37 PM   #149
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakaz View Post
What alternative woofers are you considering? Perhaps, a 10" would have enough sensitivity.

Also, are talking about 1st order filters (and hopefully no additional notches?)?
I have 4 Silver Flute W13. The preferred XO will be as simple as i can make it, with the enclosure again playing a role in baffle step issues. Woofers will be side mounted and we hope to push the XO lower than on Tysen to get even more of the FF85 goodness. That will probably require a 2nd or maybe even 3rd order XO on the FF85.

dave
Old 30th July 2010, 06:50 AM   #150
diyAudio Member

Default Tysen final plan with passive crossover

Hi,

has anyone the Tysen FAST speaker building plans with passive crossover available? I am especially interested in the variant with Alpair drivers. If anyone has plans available, I would apprieciate if he/she could share them with us!

Hide this!Advertise here!