passive woofer crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got kind of a newb question. I've been trying to search on google and diy audio, but I'm not really finding my answers.

I have some random stuff left over from other projects, and just spare parts.

I have two 8 ohm 3" TB drivers that are NLA and a 8ohm 5" TB woofer. TB actually advertised it as a sub woofer. Anyway, it is a single voice coil sub.

Can one woofer (used as a sub woofer, but not really a true subwoofer) share a crossover with two main speakers if it only has one voice coil? Or, is their a way to make one VC woofer driver handle both left and right channels?

Thanks for the reply. In this case, the "subwoofer" is really just a woofer. TB just called it a subwoofer for some reason. It is 8ohm and sensitivity is higher then most dedicated subwoofers.

5" shielded subwoofer great for making compact bass systems. Long excursion design includes high-power voice coil, vented pole piece, special twin-roll surround, and rigid cone. Would be suitable for use in multimedia sub/satellite systems as well as the bass section of a mini 2.5 or 3-way design. Specifications: Power Handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/4" *Znom: 8 ohms *Re: 6.4 ohms *Frequency range: 50-2,000 Hz *Fs: 50 Hz *SPL: 86 dB 1W/1m *Vas: .25 cu.ft. *Qms: 3.90 *Qes: .36 *Qts: .33 *Xmax 5 mm *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 6-1/8", Cutout Diameter: 4-7/8", Mounting Depth: 3-3/4"

The problem, it only has one voice coil. In this case, a plate amp can't be used, and I've read is really expensive to control an actual sub woofer and sub sonic sounds, but this driver doesn't do sub sonic sounds. It's really just a woofer.

Anyway, could you please give me some insight on how to wire up a single voice coil woofer in a crossover in a 2.1 system?

Thanks

Ermmm.... many plate amplifiers, and virtually all of the low-end models, have only one pair of output leads - exactly what you need to drive your single voice coil (sub) woofer. You will have a better performing system and will have spent no more, or perhaps even less, than you would have in trying to put together a passive crossover.

"sub-sonic sounds..." Like that of one hand clapping?
Sorry, but I don't understand why that is an issue at all in the scenario you have described.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.