building a simple paging horn. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to audiomontana
Default building a simple paging horn.

Hi All,

New here but not new to forums in general. Thanks for any help I might recieve.

My project is thus -- I am attempting to build a group of paging horns/waveguides. Ive looked around the net quite a bit the last few days and haven't had much luck. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction or give me some good advice.

I am using the standard electro-voice 405-4t drivers. This is a simple 4" cieling speaker with 70v transformer. I have 24 of these.

My application is to produce intelligable speech in a range of 10 feet to 50 feet from the speaker. The installation is in a gymnasium and other large spaces. Optimally the horn/waveguide will direct sound in a 35-50 degree vertical and 90 degree horizontal pattern so that I can build the box aiming down, mount it 10 to fifteen feet in the air and cover my space adequately and efficiently.

I know that there are many prefabricated boxes and horns that are meant for this purpose. Im just considering this as a good diy project. I may also employ the efforts of the Schools' shop classes to build the boxes once I have a viable design.

I believe that most DIY speaker projects tend to focus on music playback -- this, however, is more focused on speech reproduction and announcements, Im interested in the ideas I might recieve here.

thanks

audiomontana

Hide this!Advertise here!