my first DIY project, the Burro/Boomer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2009, 09:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default my first DIY project, the Burro/Boomer?

So I've been searching for an inexpensive and simple way to get into this hobby from the bottom.

I don't have a large budget, but would like to create a nice stereo that I can learn from.

Interested in the WildBurroLabs "Betsy" driver paired with the Altair 15 in the Burro/Boomer combination.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/betsy-boomer.htm

However, a friend told me that I would have issues running them in where they would currently reside, my bedroom. It's 16' by 12'. Would dampening behind the OB's, placed along the walls help?

Or would these perform just fine in a bedroom with no assistance?
I can place them some distance from the walls, that is not an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

I plan on powering the "Betsy" portion of the stero with this amplifier:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=300-380

I am hoping to build a more-than-decent stereo for nominal cost and am hoping for a significant upgrade from the near field PC speakers I am currently using.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think the room you describe is at least half the square area required for an OB of these dimensions to deliver their full potential.

For a "toe-dip" in the very large pool of DIY speaker designs, and most particularly for this room, I'd suggest you start with something smaller. Since to a lot of us in this particular forum "Full Range" is virtually synonymous with single driver, perhaps a 4-6" would be worth considering.

There will be no dearth of personal favorites offered as examples, and the number / size / cost of drivers and complexity of enclosure does not necessarily bear any relationship to real-world performance.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, it wouldn't be their permanent home.

But perhaps if I just kept it to the original WildBurro design, with the single Betsy on OB? And then add a subwoofer?

http://www.wildburroaudio.com/projects.php

Would the above solution be more appropriate for the given room?

Really I'd prefer to build the Burro/Boomer combo. If by loss of potential due to room size you merely mean loudness, then that's not an issue.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:51 AM   #4
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

I do love open baffles, but they like a lot of room. Ideally the speakers are going to be placed at least 3 feet from the back and side walls.

Damping behind the speakers would be a bad idea. That reflection off the back wall is part of the sound of open baffles. You don't want to absorb it.

Open baffles are a fun way to get into diy speakers. They are super easy to experiment with. You can even make baffles out of cardboard to try out different configurations.

I'd start with the Betsys and just fool around with them. $75 is a pretty cheap investment. Try mocking up some simple baffles of different sizes and shapes. Try different positioning in your room. When you find something you like, make the real baffles. If you make them big enough, you can always cut a hole for the big speakers later on.
Old 13th May 2009, 01:17 AM   #5
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm still working on a reply to your email. This will mirror some of what I planned to say. It's true that OB's like space. However, one of my college friends had a pair of Magnepans in his tiny dorm room, and they were great fun. There are some upsides to the Betsy/Boomer system in your situation, namely that the required baffle is smaller and the bass is adjustable. I think there are a few mods you could pursue to make them work decently in your situation. The Betsy-Ks in a small sealed box are probably most ideal for your little room, but where is the fun in that? I'll send you a complete reply in the morning.

pj
www.wildburroaudio.com
Old 13th May 2009, 06:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you sir! I'm really excited to be able to get my foot in the door, so to speak, with this DIY stuff.

Looking forward to corresponding with you.

(Preiter, thanks for that, I guess I'm talking to the right people.)
Old 13th May 2009, 06:45 AM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ..of_letters
Well, it wouldn't be their permanent home.

But perhaps if I just kept it to the original WildBurro design, with the single Betsy on OB? And then add a subwoofer?

http://www.wildburroaudio.com/projects.php

Would the above solution be more appropriate for the given room?

Really I'd prefer to build the Burro/Boomer combo. If by loss of potential due to room size you merely mean loudness, then that's not an issue.
Well, no - not just loudness, but bass extension (or more precisely, even distribution throughout the room), sound stage dimensionality, and location/size of listening window would be at the top of my list of concerns for a 2-way OB in a room this size.

However, you'll no doubt receive lots of advice either way, and as always your mileage may vary .
Old 13th May 2009, 07:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Can you point me in the direction of some reading that would clarify some of that?

As far as different types of applications (OB, sealed, ported, etc) and how they interact with their environments? I've been unable to find much.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:30 AM   #9
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

I think your room will work OK. A bigger room would be better, but your room size will work. My room is a similar size at 14' x 14' and I have used all kinds and sizes of boxed speakers with different diameter drivers and a few different OB speakers with multiple 15" drivers, even an 18" driver, and while I would love a bigger room I have not received any complaints about the room size limiting speaker performance. A smaller room is not optimal but an OB can still sound great if it is positioned a few feet from the rear wall.
Old 14th May 2009, 01:13 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

It must be said that Pjanda is extremely knowledgable about speaker design and knows his own work inside and out. My concerns have been addressed via his lengthy email and I'm gonna go for it.

Looks like I've found my first project. Truly excited.

Thanks to all for your posts. I'm learning.

Hide this!Advertise here!