sub amp question for MJK open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building the Hframes now for the 18" goldwood (wow is it big!). I plan on using a plate amplifier from Parts Express to power it along with a simple se amp from tubelab for the full range driver.
I will be using one plate amplifier per speaker (one for R , one for L)
My question is: if I use one interconnect to each plate amp, am I utilizing only half of its amplifer section? Should I use a Y connector on the interconnect to get my pre amp to drive both sections of the plate amp, or will I drive both sections of the plate amp by just connecting it to one (R) or (L) of the plate amp

Thanks,
paul

I thought it would look nicer without the Y connector.
It is the 100 W Dayton audio model
I thought as I'm using two of them 100 watts would be enough.
Also, my SET amp will only put out about 8 watts, albeit on significantly higher sensitivity full range drivers.
Paul

U frame, power question

Hi there Cal: I am constructing a U frame with a 15-inch driver, closley matching a Martin King example (24-inches long, area = 1.3xSd, Qts=.927), and since Martin King has impounded the Mathcadd work sheets, I'm without information on the power needed. I have a 100watts per channel amplifier available and hope to reach 98db at 27Hz (low note on the piano), which will also cover the orchestrial bass instruments at 31hz (Bb). I plan on crossing over at 70hz. Is this a safe and plasuable plan?

T/S parameters supplied with the sub for 8 ohms: Fs=25hz, Qts=0.927, Qms=6.498, Qes=1.081, Vas=6.81cf, Xmax=6.3mm, Le=7.2, Le=2.56, SPL=95db (probabily at 1000Hz), Bl=15.22, 700wrms, Vc is a DVC connected in series for 8 ohms imp.
....regards, Michael

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello Michael,

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade but I'm not sure you're headed in the right direction with that combo. I am thinking it's a small motor driver, not really a subwoofer and to expect 27Hz from it is asking a lot.

Also, this is hijacking pforeman's thread so may I suggest you start a new thread and we can deal with it there?

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.