Where can I find reviews of Fostex FE166* drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if anyone has done a comparison or a review of Fostex FE166E and FE166ES-R, and how is FE168EΣ performing compared to them? Are there any listening experiences from these drivers who can tell how they seem to differ in sound and usability?

What is the benefit in general with the bigger magnet of the FE166ES-R?

What are the advantages of the EΣ-technique?

For Ron C´s A166 horn , which driver is the better choice audible and which will give me most value for money?

Kind regards
/Forsman

1/ The ES-R was a limited edition driver from 3 - 4 years back. Magnet material was rather different to the stock ferrite; cobalt-lathanum IIRC. Leaving material issues aside, larger motor, more raw power, greater self damping, better transient response.

2/ Ron designed the A166 very specifically for the FE166E. So for the stock cabinet, you use the driver he designed it for. There are modified versions around, which you can dig out information on, & which he helped with slightly, for the other units.

3/ There is no ESigma technique. They are completely different drivers & have nothing to do with the cheaper models. Motors, frames, cones, materials, everything. They are the top of the Fostex FR driver range, aside from when they (foolishly IMO) release yet another batch of limited edition drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.