Visions of Holey-Basket Corals - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2009, 02:13 PM   #1
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Visions of Holey-Basket Corals

Often, prior to traveling to a place, I can't help but peruse the local craigslist. I'm addicted to shopping for junk. My wife is so lucky. I'll be in Milwaukee in a couple of weeks (visiting friends), and while looking for a Brooks saddle for my bike, I detoured over to the electronics section and discovered the legendary Sony 500A reel to reel. I made a low but reasonable offer, and had a friend pick it up.

Now I sit in anticipation of new junk. With visions of Tamura transformers and holey basket coral 103A variants dancing in my head. It sounds like some of those R2R's had a different driver, and for all I know, what ever is in there is wet or blown. Still, I can't help but be excited.

What have those of you with the Holey Basket's built? I'm wondering if it would work to do a dipole with my 40-1197's. I know they'd be a little different, but would it work? Something like the BD-pipes with the Corals in front. It seems like a great use of each.

Of course, the Tamura OPT's would be perfect for driving biamped OB's (given those 600 ohm taps). I picture something like this: EliD's knocking off SE on the cheap, or the RH84.

This is all just idle speculation. What I really need to do is build something with my own drivers and get my current tube project finished. And work on my turntable, and my cd player(s). . . .

But, I'd be curious to know what folks have built.

pj
www.wildburroaudio.com
Old 6th May 2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I use the 16 ohm version, labeled Monarch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4408.jpg (49.2 KB, 478 views)
Old 6th May 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

as an OB mid in a bi-amped 4 way seen here. Very nice driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished front.jpg (83.0 KB, 495 views)
Old 7th May 2009, 02:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Visions of Holey-Basket Corals

Quote:
Originally posted by pjanda1

It sounds like some of those R2R's had a different driver, and for all I know, what ever is in there is wet or blown. Still, I can't help but be excited.

What have those of you with the Holey Basket's built? I'm wondering if it would work to do a dipole with my 40-1197's. I know they'd be a little different, but would it work? Something like the BD-pipes with the Corals in front. It seems like a great use of each.

Of course, the Tamura OPT's would be perfect for driving biamped OB's (given those 600 ohm taps). <SNIP>, or the RH84.

But, I'd be curious to know what folks have built.

pj
www.wildburroaudio.com
Hi PJ,

I too have managed to snaffle holey basket's (3 pair), and 2 dead 500A decks.

I've commenced building BD pipes.

My plan for the decks is to extract the useful components and use them to build a pair of RH84's. Having two RH84's will allow me to either bi-amp the BD-pipe drivers, or else to bi-amp the pipes AND a supertweeter. See Planet10's website for Dave's commentary on BD-pipes and supertweeters.

BTW, Dave and I discovered that the holey baskets come in a number of variants, including a black-coned one! (Mine are 8 ohm, SONY-badged)

cheers

Doug
Old 7th May 2009, 03:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Black cones would be cool. I'll post pics of whatever I've got.

I don't think I've seen anyone biamp a super tweeter! It seems like a waste of decent sized output transformers. It would be a great use of OPT's from old consoles or radios that were biamped to begin with, as there isn't much else you can do with those. I've got a pair of tiny little OPT's from a cheap phonola AA5 amp that would be perfect. I'm also thinking of HF specific transformers from some of the higher end Magnavox consoles or some organ amps I've seen.

Let me know how those BD-pipes work out. I'm still really curious to hear opinions on building BD-pipes with mismatched 103 variants. If it would work, it really seems ideal to use one of the less acclaimed versions in the back, while saving the nicer versions for a position where you get the most out of them. I really like the idea of using these little drivers in dipoles to eliminate the need for BSC and maybe gain some efficiency.

It would be a great opportunity to build some little horns or double mouth BVR's though, provided one is suitable for the Corals.

pj
Old 7th May 2009, 03:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Cal,

I'm interested in the details of your design too, but I bet they are posted here somewhere. I'll search later when I've got the chance.

pj
Old 7th May 2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Piek is offline Piek  Europe
diyAudio Member

Also consider this design from Niwo: http://www.rahaso.de/foren/thread.ph...ein&idx=23502&

Sound is very good with different Fe103 variants (needs a Sub).

-Micha
Old 7th May 2009, 05:44 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I don't think I've seen anyone biamp a super tweeter! It seems like a waste of decent sized output transformers. It would be a great use of OPT's from old consoles or radios that were biamped to begin with, as there isn't much else you can do with those. I've got a pair of tiny little OPT's from a cheap phonola AA5 amp that would be perfect.
I have some lovely little Nordmende OPTs that are destined for such an amp.

Quote:
I'm still really curious to hear opinions on building BD-pipes with mismatched 103 variants.
We've tried Foster FE103A on the front & 1197 on the back. Also just upgraded the front drivers of a customers 1197 BD-Pipes to FE103eN. Works fine. I think someone also tried 1197 on the front, and the little woofer (can't recall the number off the top of my head) on the back

dave
Old 7th May 2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Cal,
I'm interested in the details of your design too
Those were a little experiment I did without using a formula. This is what the inside looks like except that I didn't leave room to show the back panel of the cabinet. You'll have to imagine it's there.

The result tells my ears the line is too long. They are shy on bass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0622.jpg (65.9 KB, 357 views)
Old 7th May 2009, 10:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have enough Coral HB's to make the BD-pipes, but I also have 2 pair of Sanyo FE103A's. When I eventually get time I'll swap those in for a comparison.

cheers

Doug

Hide this!Advertise here!