EGGfest -- DIY meet in UK 13th June

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY meet in UK 13th June

Wasn't sure where to put this, but here seems appropriate, as the majority of systems at these events have some form of FR driver on the end of them, mostly OBs, horns, MLTLs, Fonkens etc.

Anyway, it's at the Social Club of the Eggborough powerstation (yes, really) on the A19 north of M62 junction 34 on Saturday 13th of June. Huge space, nice & relaxed approach, lots of fine valve-amps etc too. It's one of a cycle of meets held once or twice a year -first time we've been back to Eggborough for a few months, but it makes for a spectacular setting; I well remember stepping outside the door & coming face to face with the gigantic cooling tower less than a hundred yards away. See attached. No complaints about the power quality either... ;)

The buffet is £5 a head, the cost of the room is £100 for the day, which we all share equally between us. Non-profit I hasten to add; we're just a bunch of enthusiasts & I figured some people here might be interested. Anyone's welcome, whether they bring any gear or just fancy a day out to see & hear some interesting gear; just stick a post in below to let us know.

Attachments

• img_3109.jpg
    img_3109.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 692
not long now to our next meet..

there seems lots of new kit to hear so i guess it will be a good day again

names so far...

tony moore
dave tb
steve cresswell
scott ( possibly)
will
ed
andrew I
andrew
gerry
ali
little eddy,
max n
al newall
ian sr
phil
simon c
me
nick
dave +2
antony c
chopsaw
mike H
dave(and sue)
dl2
Mo

I Hope i've not missed any one.. if i have please post

anyone who is to attend or is on the list and not attending please post by sunday pm
i need numbers for monday morning for the buffet please but i'm away this week end so will catch up sunday evening

the names are from a spread of forums

thanks for your support.. and see you all next week

we will have a bring and buy table (as usual)... so bring lots of money/ kit to make it interesting...
i may have to bring a box of valves..

steve

Only just noticed this! I really want to get to one of these meets at some point. I also would have some drivers for sale. At the moment though, I don't have a car and that's quite a long travel from Swindon/Bristol area :(

Sounds like you have a good turnout though, be sure to take plenty of photos :D

Dr.EM said:
Thanks for that! Certainly a lot of open baffle and full range systems there!

most of us have tried or owned every thing else... and thats what we are happy with

there was not many amps over 5 watts too..

a good day was had, the standards keep getting better and better..
there was lots of new kit there.. i was suprised by the amount..

we appear to be quite a productive group... sometimes

cheers
steve

Out of interest, what type of music was mainly played? I'm sure there was a large variety, but I tend to associate open baffle and full range systems with small acoustic/vocal groups and jazz. For these types of music I don't doubt they are best, but I'm curious as to whether much rock and dance type music was demoed?

Scottmoose said:
The Prodigy, Massive Attack.....

Well, that's my favourite artists right there! I really should have tried to hear these, though I'm sure a lot of these system will show up at the next meet too. I don't underestimate dipole bass, I'll be building dipole subs (4x15") for my system too after being so impressed with the sound from a prototype I built :cool:

Go for it. :) Sounds like you're onto a winner there.

I won't say that the aforementioned are a staple listening diet of many people who attended (I could only make a fleeting visit this time unfortunately), but their value for testing & demoing the LF & dynamic handling of different systems is certainly appreciated. Metallica's live S&M album was a favourite for that a while back too; also dance remixes, Zero 7, stuff like that do make the odd appearance. Big orchestral works are good too, although there's a question of time involved of course, or we can't get round everyone's gear. I've used The Doobie Brothers, Peter Gabriel, Yes, PJ Harvey, Bruce Dickinson, Pink Floyd etc. before now too at different meets for heavier material. Quite a mix really, and even notionally softer stuff takes on a whole new dimension when asked to fill a hall ~150ft x 60ft at high SPLs.

haha where the hell is eggborough?

lol Dave keeps saying i need to get to one of these do's, i might just come provided i can get there easy. also depends if i risk transporting the TLs im making right now(and if theyre finished by then), and also if i can stand the glare from the FR and 5 watt camps, while i bring the trusty old cambridge A1 amp and 2ways into the room......:faint:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.