Fonken 167 enclosures build- notes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scott, that comment really puts home how small your room must be :)

Here is a pic of an example Eastech.

dave

Attachments

• eastech-7mW.jpg
    eastech-7mW.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 400
As I've had a pair of the Eastech's (thx Dave!) up and running in a PP sub, (again thx!)
filling in the bottom end of my "Frugels" , I'm used to hearing a quite nice, articulate re-inforcing of the above.
How do the same drivers do in the above "Fonken" vis a vis the PP sub?
THanks, Don

In reviewing plans for this build, I am having trouble making sense of the second item under Notes 2. As I read it, the part of the baffle/brace that is in contact with the magnet should be bevel cut. It's unclear, however, that this would really provide any "breathing room." Is the reference, instead, to the angled cuts from the vertical (in contact with the magnet) to the vertical at the front-most of the baffle?

I'd have more confidence moving forward, though, if I had confirmation.

In reviewing plans for this build, I am having trouble making sense of the second item under Notes 2. As I read it, the part of the baffle/brace that is in contact with the magnet should be bevel cut. It's unclear, however, that this would really provide any "breathing room." Is the reference, instead, to the angled cuts from the vertical (in contact with the magnet) to the vertical at the front-most of the baffle?

I'd have more confidence moving forward, though, if I had confirmation.

The interior side of the driver cut-out should be beveled or radiused ( i.e. either 45` chamfer bit or 3/8" - 1/2" roundover )

The enclosure for 167 is certainly tall enough that the vertical driver brace can be notched to well over the cut-out diameter. The line at which the brace contacts the magnet ( and for that matter the various random openings in the braces) can be similarly beveled or radiused, but with a driver this size, I'd imagine the returned benefit to be not as significant as with 3-4" units. I generally do chamfer the holes in the braces and sand them, mostly to reduce getting slivers during assembly

Attachments

• Fonken167-insides.jpg
    Fonken167-insides.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 258
Closing on a new home this Friday. As soon as we get settled I'll be emailing for these plans. I love the look and I think they'll go nicely in our new family room.

Any objections on using these for HT use? Could I run another 167 in a sealed enclosure for a center channel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.