Betsy's kickin' it horn style

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across www.wildburroaudio.com and realized that someone was making full range drivers right here in Minnesota. So I decided to plug them into hornresp and see what they could do. The Betsy didn't seem to like horns all that much but the Betsy -K did ok. So I drew up some plans and will probably try them. The bass extention isn't really low (80hz) but they should mate well with a tapped horn. I didn't see the big dip at 150hz untill I was all done and could figure out the path difference between horns. I'll play with it some more and try to fix that but here is what I have so far.

Attachments

• wild burro betsy -k ch hornresp.jpg
    wild burro betsy -k ch hornresp.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 742
I suppose I should explain a little. The top right picture is the combined response of the front and back horn, while it looks terrible the smooth curved line is how hornresp models the driver without a horn (open baffle) if you compare the two graphs you can see the horn brings the response up relatively even (for a horn) across the board. As the real response of the driver is pretty flat when you correct for this you get a full range response from the horns. I wasn't sure if this was acurate so I've tried a few designs and it really seems to work this way. The bottom right is the maximum spl at all frequencies through the rear horn. As you can see it is capable of volumes of 100db+ from 30hz on up. So if your not afraid to use an eq or tone controls you could get some serious bass out of these puppies. Although the front horn does have some effect on this that isn't shown in the model. The top right is the parameters as entered into hornresp and the bottom left shows the cone movement at one watt at all frequenies. The other picture is a screen shot of the design as drawn up on Autocad if anyone is interested in the actual autocad drawing please email me.

I second that. Standard Betsy on 33" x 22" goes low and loud enough to satisfy many people. This is, of course, an assumption about tastes, but I'm a metal guy, and I can live without the helper woofer more than half of the time. One 15" or 18" would do the trick, in fact. Now lets see what can be done about Betsy's rather assertive personality...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.