fostex fe87 blh? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2009, 05:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default fostex fe87 blh?

has anyone built the fostex horn for the 3 inch fe87? looks fairly simple to build.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

fe87e recommended back horn...

fostex recomended box fe87
Old 16th April 2009, 09:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default revisited.

Thanks Scott,

It seems so long ago that I was making those speakers, but looking back at it now I realize that I am still just as freaking crazy~! at least privately...

If I were to build them again, btw, I would stick with 15mm as per the plans or even down to 12 mm plywood for budget and smaller size. Make a removable panel where the binding posts go. This will allow you to tweak with damping material in that region.

Also, I must advocate finishing the inside and out. Try osmo poly x if you are into the easier side of an oil finish. That should change the damping requirements (in this case, at least). some people flat out "dope" the inside of a cabinet with something or another. everyone has their own recipe for their own sound and it is an area worth researching. read the sticky thread up top of the fullrange forum about it.

It is a difficult build for a beginner, btw. Make sure those parts are square, dude!

good luck!

-Clark

scott: PM, how are things lately with you? Out here we are thawed and shorts and t shirted - for the next 6 months!
Old 16th April 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

No worries Clark, good to see you around again. Loved those walnut sides (even if it wasn't ideal when it started pulling the ply about). Will get a PM over to you later

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!