New project underway: Fostex and Pyle Pro - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2009, 04:42 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Wow thank you indeed! Yes a rectangular baffle will be much easier to build. Looks like I will go with that then. I will probably start (and finish) the baffle this Thursday. Just waiting on the equipment to come in.
Old 18th April 2009, 12:58 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I got a pair of the Pyles in. As promised, here are my impressions:

Stamped steel basket which is expected for a driver at this price range. Has a significant amount of ringing to it, but I would imagine it may not be an issue at the frequencies that mine will be operating in. We will see.

The dustcap is a bit ugly, yes. But who cares? I guess I can paint it later if I want. If anything one might be a bit embarrassed with the name Pyle on the cone. But its the sound that matters, right? The glue around the dust cap looks clean. The same can not be said of the glue for the rubber gasket. I doubt it really affects anything though. The glue on the spider is also a little sloppy, both around the cone and on the outer perimeter on the frame. Nothing too horrible though. I like the accordion surround, I prefer it for drivers with smaller excursion.

The suspension is very stiff and the magnet is nice and hefty at 70oz. Cone is paper treated and both the cone and surround look very durable. Overall the soft parts appear to be very light. Strong motor and low moving mass suggests it should do very well open baffle. It does have spring loaded terminals (gold) which is a nice touch. They are cheap, but I have seen a lot worse to be honest. Also interestingly the terminal strip is mounted with a screw rather than a rivet which is common. Don't know if it has any advantage, but I thought I would note.

Overall the quality is pretty average. For the price, I think what you get is a steal. Honestly I would expect a driver like this to be double the cost I paid for. $38 each at amazon with free super saver shipping (which took a bit over a week). If you need to know anything else. Please feel free to ask.
Old 26th April 2009, 04:51 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I went ahead and got everything hooked up...

First of all, the FF85KeNs sound absolutely phenomenal. I haven't been listening for long, but one thing is for sure that these things are VERY revealing. I was expecting them to have this characteristic, but not at this level. I'm not completely sure if I want to keep them yet simply because they have brought out the worst of mediocre recordings in my collection. I am not quite ready to simply abandon half of my music

They have an incredible sound stage. Also very good micro and macro dynamics for such a tiny speaker. In addition, they are not fatiguing or do they have the imfamous fostex "shout" that I have heard about. Extremely smooth sounding, and I suspect its because of Dave's treatment. Also, suprisingly they handle genres like rock very well.

He wasn't kidding when he said they can rival quality tweeters. They definitely have wonderful sparkle to them, and nothing seems to be missing on the top end.

As far as the woofers go. I definitely need more power in the future. Currently they are each receiving only 30 watts each. I will be upgrading eventually to 100 watts each for head room. The FRs don't seem to be straining at all at higher levels with the 400hz crossover point. The woofers have great bass with a little EQ, enough for my tastes. Cone movement is controlled with music, only reaching about 2-3mm P-P with heavy bass passages.

However, they do leave a bit to be desired on the top end. Crossing them over above ~150hz simply doesn't sound very good. So right now I have a small gap in the frequency response. Not too big of a deal for my tastes. Over all the performance of the woofers is very good for the price, with great impact. The higher crossover point doesn't really steer the sound stage down as many led me to believe.

One more thing I forgot to mention. They are currently operating WITHOUT the wings because of a mistake I made when cutting. Being a college student, I only had access to a circular saw and router. I got a little careless with the circular saw and screwed up on one of my cuts. Needless to say I didn't have any more wood. However, I like the configuration very much and will likely keep them wingless for now.
Old 26th April 2009, 05:37 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast1one
the FF85KeNs sound absolutely phenomena.. these things are VERY revealing... an incredible sound stage... very good micro and macro dynamics... not fatiguing or do they have the imfamous fostex "shout" that I have heard about. Extremely smooth sounding... they can rival quality tweeters... wonderful sparkle to them

dave
Old 26th April 2009, 07:27 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I am currently listening to the self titled album Nouvelle Vague. Bossa Nova music...Her voice is absolutely beautiful.

Here are some quick pictures I took. They are currently in my bedroom until I make room in the living room

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th April 2009, 08:04 PM   #26
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Aww man.. I've got 4 of those Pyles in original boxes I would have been willing to sell ya for even cheaper than you paid. Hardly used.. just played around with OB for about a week and put them back up. Wish I would have seen this beforehand, but oh well. Nice OB's btw! Those FF85's do seem like really nice drivers.
Old 27th April 2009, 04:27 AM   #27
fwater is offline fwater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BHTX
...I've got 4 of those Pyles in original boxes I would have been willing to sell ya for even cheaper than you paid. Hardly used..

I would be interested in those woofs. fwater (at) live (dot) com
Old 27th April 2009, 06:39 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

These woofers are definitely sounding better by the hour. I gave them a little exercise while I was at the library studying for about 6 hours with a 15hz test tone at low volume.

I don't think the crossover point is going to budge for now. Currently its set at ~140hz and I am enjoying the blend they have with the FRs. I don't really feel like I am missing much from the recording in that range. After all, its a crossover not a brick wall

Also, the bass is really nice even with no EQ. I haven't played anything that really made me miss deep bass yet. Even playing Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album was quite satisfying from beginning to end. The track with the clocks going off (Time?) is eerily life like. "Money" also has that same quality with all the registers going off in the beginning.

I think I may have some wiggle room as far as the FF85s go. They don't really move at all even with heavy music crossed over at ~350hz now. I will slowly bring the crossover point lower once I am confident that I they have the mechanical head room.

One final note for now. I think I am going to end up keeping the Fostex and just listen to good recordings with them After all, I have other rigs for the rest of my collection ( *cough* car).
Old 27th April 2009, 09:34 AM   #29
lazenna is offline lazenna  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've read elsewhere if you damp the back of the basket's on the Pyle's with something like Dynamat they will be even better. Let us know more about the sound quality and deep bass power handling when you listen further.
Old 27th April 2009, 09:38 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lazenna
I've read elsewhere if you damp the back of the basket's on the Pyle's with something like Dynamat they will be even better. Let us know more about the sound quality and deep bass power handling when you listen further.
Yup they could definitely benefit from dampening. I think I am going to use Duct seal for dampening. I will keep you updated as they break in more.

I have also come to the conclusion that the FF85s are just as smooth and non-fatiguing as the Pioneer B20s I had before, but MUCH more detailed obviously. I am in love with full range again

Hide this!Advertise here!