Ribbon tweets with FE206E? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2009, 03:27 PM   #1
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ribbon tweets with FE206E?

Hi all. I have been playing around with some APT 80 horn tweeters with my FE206E BR speakers and they sound decent but I was wondering if I should consider ribbon tweeters? Anyone have any suggestions about which ones to try? I would like to use a first order cross somewhere in the 16k to 18k region. Just want to add a little to the top.
Old 9th April 2009, 06:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have you tried pointing the tweeter in different off-axis directions? Or padding it down a shade?

16k is so high that I would not think it makes all that difference in terms of ribbon vs. horn, but where you point it, and padding, could make a huge difference, if all you're looking for is a little zing.

How does the horn tweeter sound?
Old 9th April 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

some suggestion

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/FE126E.htm

gr bart
Old 10th April 2009, 05:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Personally, I hate ribbon tweeters with regular dynamic drivers. YMMV as always of course.
Old 10th April 2009, 06:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd
Have you tried pointing the tweeter in different off-axis directions? Or padding it down a shade?

16k is so high that I would not think it makes all that difference in terms of ribbon vs. horn, but where you point it, and padding, could make a huge difference, if all you're looking for is a little zing.

How does the horn tweeter sound?

It sounds smooth enough but it is a little hot. I also have been playing with the depth of the tweeter in reference to the baffle. I think I am going to try a .33 vitamin Q cap and a voltage divider to attenuate it a little and hopefully make it even smoother. It may just be that I'm not used to hearing anything out of my speakers above say 18K or so.
Old 10th April 2009, 07:05 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by G
It sounds smooth enough but it is a little hot.
This is the tweeter you were asking how to cross in another thread? The one with the shelved down top end?

You are probably hearing the octave below your XO as the hot bit. You may want to consider shelving down that prominent bit just below your XO point.

As speculated in that earlier thread a simple 1st order XO may not do what needs doing..

Or you could look at a horn tweeter that doesn't go as low and is flatter in teh 10-20k octave.

dave
Old 10th April 2009, 07:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

This is the tweeter you were asking how to cross in another thread? The one with the shelved down top end?

You are probably hearing the octave below your XO as the hot bit. You may want to consider shelving down that prominent bit just below your XO point.

As speculated in that earlier thread a simple 1st order XO may not do what needs doing..

Or you could look at a horn tweeter that doesn't go as low and is flatter in teh 10-20k octave.

dave
The Fostex FT17H looks good:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF...vers/ft17h.pdf

It seems to have all the attributes you mentioned. Any experience with these?
Old 10th April 2009, 08:18 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by G
The Fostex FT17H looks good:

It seems to have all the attributes you mentioned. Any experience with these? [/B]
They are often used... they are pretty decent.

dave
Old 10th April 2009, 11:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I like them. As Bob illustrated, they don't have anything like the claimed sensitivity, but that just makes life easier as you can simply cap them off rather than needing to pad it down as well.
Old 10th April 2009, 08:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Will this work for what I'm looking to do with the tweeters I have know Planet. It's cheaper to to buy the components for the crossover than to buy new tweeters. It is a 18K high pass second order with a little attenuation thrown in for good measure. BTW the inductor should be a .1mH instead of 1mH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd order apt50.jpg (12.8 KB, 135 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!