1970's Pioneer Drivers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the coax PAX-30G's and they are quite amazing. The sweetest horn tweeters I have and the woofers have very low and tight bass. The only problem for me is that they are a bit low Qts for OB use, which I favour. But, factor in 103dB/W and digital domain EQ in iTunes and you can shelve/boost to get what you want. I'm amazed at what these drivers can do. Very detailed and dynamic.

Erik

Been eyeing a pair of pioneer pax-30a drivers for a wile now. After some searching on the net found this info.
"The PAX-A30 12 inch driver is driven fullrange. The horn tweeter is crossed over at 3kHz
These superb drivers have massive 12.5 pound magnets Sensitivity 95dB 8 ohm. Circa 1974"
From this page: VintageAudioWorld.com - Speakers
So wich is it 95db or 102db sensitivity?
Good driver for open baffle or to low Q for that?

I had the pax-20e for 2 years and loved them. They are a great value because nobody knows about them. They are tone monsters with amazing vocals. I had to EQ a 1khz peak out of it so it wouldnt sound like an AM radio, but once dialed in, they sound fantastic. I later switched to a passive notch filter because i was getting more into vinyl and couldnt rely on my itunes/pure music EQ. Even though they are effecient, they are 16 ohm, which halves the output depending on how your amp handles the load. But when i switch to my Fostex Fe163en-s which is rated at 95db, they were about the same loudness with my 10wpc tube amp. The fostex loses some tone(i contribute tothe pax's alnico) but makes up for in increased dynamics and overall output/power handling.

I picked up a pair of these locally a couple months ago. These speakers are amazingly musical. Driven by 1.5W PSE 6W1 tube amp with a Russian 12Z1L SRPP pre and tube dac and tube usb-spdif converter from Ukraine. A pair of Monitor Audio Radius 360 8" subs reenforce the low end. The sound is completely top notch. I sold the Altec Model 15 right after. Leaving them free air is not a issue and is louder than I want at times. Very airy, detail and sounding very close to the real thing (organic). You may say I am totally convinced.

I used to own Soundlab 3, ML CLS, Mag various models, Legacy Focus, Infinity Res 90, Ess 3 rock monitor (still own) Apogee Slant 6, Accoustat 1100. So point of reference is plenty. I am not saying it outperforms all of them but it is definitely the most musical to my experience.

The key is to use the best upstream and it will reward the user with upmost satisfaction. Anything heard that you don't like is most likely not from these PAX A30s.

Decent Coax drivers can Be V good.
Possibly even inexpensive / little known Japanese ones.. Mebe :).
Although the 3K Crossover point Does seems a Bit too high. About 1500Hz too high IMO.
12 incher with a Good large magnet shouldn't need ...Any... Sub.
Foolish expectations at play..or a Driver Problem there?
In the least.. gonna need a crossover rework methinks.

Last edited:
I agree 3k crossover with 12" did seem high when I first got them. But once I put them to work, I don't miss all other speakers including ESS 3 Rock Monitor which does cross at 1k, nor NHT 2.5i. Both with dedicated mid range driver. I myself also wonder...perhaps because of the great immediacy exhibited? I kept coming back to them after just a few days with the others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.