35 second tune-up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
G'day,

This is a little trick I use to clean up the sound from my amp and speakers.
This is based on a product I read about many years ago in an audio magazine.
Essentially it demagnetises metal in your system and cleans up the sound.
It may or may not make a difference in your system - but if it does, you'll be amazed at the difference.
By the way, you will need to repeat this periodically as the effects will wear off as the metal in your system will re-magnetise again over time.

"Demag35" is a 1000Hz sine wave which starts at a level of OdB and fades to nothing over 35 seconds.
Be careful with this as it can really hurt your ears!

Download the attached file, then do the following:
1. Play a piece of music that you are really familiar with.

This next step is best done with hearing protection.

2. Turn your volume down low, start the "Demag35" track and adjust up to a medium volume (ie. without distortion) and leave the room.

3. When the track is finished, play the piece of music you played in step 1.

Notice a difference?

Cheers,

Alex

I have a question:-
The majority (well ALL (OK there may be some tin/silver/copper intermetalics in the solder joints and possibly gold plated connectors)) the metal the signal passes through from source to speaker is copper, very pure copper which cant be magnetised, there may be transformers that if were easy to permenantly magnetise would stop working, and finaly the electro magnetic motor, the driver (which has a permenant magnet), so what is there to demagnetise?
Oh secondly, if this works how come it dosn't demagnetise the speaker magnet?

G'day Marce,

All good questions that I'm unable to answer properly.
The article that gave me the idea was from over 10 years ago in an English hi fi magazine - maybe What Hi-Fi? Not sure.
I do remember the reviewer saying that he didn't notice a difference in his system. So, I tried it for myself and it does make a noticeable difference in my system - so I thought I would share the idea for others to try.

I did find this review for a commercial product.

Cheers,

Alex

And to think, the benefit you're hearing is probably limited by your speaker wires, as well. Make sure your speaker wire is at least 1/4th the diameter of your speaker drivers for maximum clarity. Also, don't forget to burn in the new speaker wire for at least 6-months. You can reduce the burn-in time by using a speaker wire burn-in tool (I can't find the link, but I remember reading about one that was only about 500 dollars).

As an interesting tangent, relating to the whole magic of magnetism, you can wave a magnet over the pressurized fuel line on your car just before the injectors to ionize the fuel, increasing the efficiency of the burn rate and improving your gas mileage anywhere from 10-65 miles per gallon!

Yeah, I'll take one of those ugly little clocks, some wooden blocks, and a few of those little jars of marbles to set around the room too. Feedback stabalizers? Analog-terminators? Ridiculous amounts of overpriced isolation pads and cones? CD optimizers and treatments? Disc demagnetizers? Cable elevators? Oh goodie.. :D

just feeling particularly facetious today :) Don't mean to sound mean.

I've already taken two naps today, and somehow I just end up more groggy and tired after each one!

I'd actually thought about the whole "demagnetize your ears" thing myself. Also, as I was looking for the link to the "cable burn-in tool" that I saw awhile back, I stumbled on some other discussions on that whole thing and it got me thinking about that, too, and the psychological ramifications of stuff.

Conclusion: I'm tired, also, the brain is weird.

Might work for this speaker
a38c7.jpg

:D

bzfcocon said:
There is DEFINITELY a change in perception of how the system sounds if you are actually hearing the demag track ! After that, everything sounds sweet - so you are demagnetizing your ears.

I wonder if the difference can be heard also if you play the demag without hearing it.

PLEASE GUARD YOUR EARS
I alway wear hearing protection when I demag my system.
I always leave the room when it's playing as well.
It'd very important to take care of your ears when doing this.

Also, a soon as you have played the demag track in your system it will have demagnetised anything that it may be effective for.
You would have to wait for a number of weeks for the system to become re-magnetised again.

Remember that any benefit you get from using this will depend on your system.

Cheers,

Alex

My first question still stands, having read this and other threads, product literature etc, I still would like an explanation of whats being demagnetised and how come it dont demagnetise the speaker motor:rolleyes:
However hard I've searched I cant find an answer to that question.
On a lighter note and I would ask you to keep secret, but BHTX mentioned various esoteric treatments. On a recent visit to the seaside my Children found bags of "brilliant pebbles"* on sale in a shop for £1 (about 50c), we immediatly bought 2 bags. I can confirm all claims made by Audio Dynamica, they do improve the listening experience, only 2 days after buying them they got sucked up by the vac, forever ending it electronic whining, and so allowing the music to flow through. Having since leart that these bags of polished stone are actually worth $129 each, I was distrought, they could have paid for the new vacuum cleaner.:)
Appologies Alex for the OT, there are going to be some effects playing a constant frequency with decreasing amplitude through the system, I'd of thought, its a constant frequency applied vibration instead of a random frequency applied vibration, the latter tends not to set up reasonance vibration. ( could also say the same for the electomagnetic waves around all conductors)
Have Fun

bigwill said:
Since this is an AC signal wouldn't music itself have the same functional effect :confused:

Yeah, I've never really understood this either.
The reveiwer of the product I based this on suggested a couple of possible reasons that it didn't work for his system:
1) nothing in the signal path of his system was being magnetised
2) test tones and music content he played mimicked what the demag track does.

marce said:
My first question still stands, having read this and other threads, product literature etc, I still would like an explanation of whats being demagnetised and how come it dont demagnetise the speaker motor:rolleyes:
However hard I've searched I cant find an answer to that question.

... there are going to be some effects playing a constant frequency with decreasing amplitude through the system, I'd of thought, its a constant frequency applied vibration instead of a random frequency applied vibration, the latter tends not to set up reasonance vibration. ( could also say the same for the electomagnetic waves around all conductors)
Have Fun

Vacuum cleaners really suck when trying to listen to music :D

My guess is that the inductive field around the voice coil is too small to affect the permanent magnet in the speaker motor.
I've never understood the reasons why it works, but it does, so I keep using it.

Cheers,

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.