35 second tune-up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When you say, oh no, not again, do you mean the OP calmly and politely carrying his message about his observations forward, or do you mean another sarcastic, angry, small naysayer piping up with nothing to contribute but a stab at someone who is trying to be helpful? I may be mistaken, but I recall that may be a good way to describe all the posts I see from you, InclinedPlane. Yep, I what I remember about you is that every time I see that animae logo I can bank on there being a negative or snide comment.

I am not, of course, championing the OP's method or results here, but holy cow am I tired of seeing people picked apart with an insatiable religious zeal. Why not start a petition to censor and eliminate these types of threads? Then they wouldn't soil the others in which your revealing and positive commentary brings so much to the table.

Angry small naysayer. I like that! You could abbreviate it ASN and save typing.:)

I'm not the only one who does a WHAT THE *double take* HUH????:eek: when they read some of this stuff. Is it any wonder some of us end up challenging it? I suppose I could ignore it, but it's hard to when intelligence (yes even my small bit) has been insulted.

Well, I suppose that is my point of contention. Does it really insult your intelligence? You say it does, but... I guess I just don't see it. I do a double-take myself sometimes on these subjects, though I usually just let it slide. Am I overreacting? Wouldn't be the first time, I guess. I don't even fall on one side or the other here... the OP may have actually had a real experience in improvement in sound that may or may not have anything to do with a sine wave. I dunno. I have trouble believing that it would work. Dammit, the more I talk about it, the closer I am to putting on the foil hat and giving it a try myself.

Angry small naysayer may have been a little much. It's certainly unwieldy, but I don't think ASN will catch on. Besides, I have no idea how tall you are or how angry your demeanor might be. :mad:

Just because someone wrote an article somewhere on the Internet that is incorrect does not mean that repeating the incorrect stuff is useful.

Actually, it was in print in the 1990's...but I take your point.
Finally remembered the name of product - Gryphon Exorcist.

I don't even fall on one side or the other here... the OP may have actually had a real experience in improvement in sound ...
Yes. That's why I wanted to share it with others here.
I have trouble believing that it would work. Dammit, the more I talk about it, the closer I am to putting on the foil hat and giving it a try myself.

Nothing to lose, so why not?
Get someone else to run it for you while you are out of the room - in fact go outside so you can't hear the tone at all.

Cheers,

Alex

Curses! I screwed it up right from the beginning. I sat down a listenned to two very familiar tracks that I use (among others) to tune a system. Then, I ran the 1kHz tone, but I didn't do what I had intended, and that was to turn off the amp, start the tone, hibernate the computer, turn the amp back on, and then wake up the computer and leave the room. I didn't want to use the big 'muffs I have because of what one poster had postulated earlier- the application and then removal of hearing protection could influence a person's judgement. Instead, I just ran the tone and then plugged my ears without thinking.

Ummm...something happened. Something very small. Something very hard to describe. Before I go one second further, I want to say that I am a firm believer in the power of the human mind being able to fool itself into any number of things, and this was an experiement with nearly zero controls or preparartion. Any experience that I could have would possibly and probably be influenced by any subconscious desire to hear an improvement or to disprove it. Maybe I want to hear an improvement because I covertly want Alex from Oz to win because of my minor tangling with others here over what I see as unneccesary attacks. Maybe I want to hear nothing at all because I feel this is bunk and not worth the 8 minutes that I put into it. In short, I am in no way claiming that any opinion about the application of this 1kHz signal could not have been influenced by dozens and dozens of outside factors. But, back to the beginning. Something happened.

After I played the tone, I set the levels back to where they were when I first listenned to the two songs (Kid Charlemagne by Steely Dan and Maybe I'm a Leo by Deep Purple, if anyone gives a rip). Upon listenning again, I have a tiny nagging feeling like I heard more reverb with Steely Dan. Perhaps a miniscule smidgeon of extra impact from the kick drum during fills with Deep Purple. WTF? I am baffled. 99% of my brain is convinced that it's not hearing a change, but there was something eating away at me with the other 1%, trying to tell me that there might be something there. Hard to verbalize. Since I'm dealing with the power of suggestion, prejudices, etc., and still trying to entertain an idea in a serious way.

I offer these quick observations as evidence that, after playing the supplied WAV file at high volume while plugging you ears, it is possible that one may hear music slightly differently. I would postulate that the placebo effect and the momentary deprivation of hearing (to whatever degree) are the contributing factors here. IMO, kinda like a sacrafice to the gods that they may make the sun rise again tomorrow. The sun came up, but the cause was a little more complicated than an offering of some coins and blood. The music may have a perceived difference or even an improvement, but I am quite skeptical that it is due to the tone. There's -once again- something at work here. I find it interesting enough that I will try it on my more "serious" setup tomorrow.

Take note that I am still not falling on either side here. I am not alluding to a confirmation of the test tone's abilities nor am I willing to say there is no change in the perception of music after it's application.

Is it possible the change in sound could be for some other reason?

Yes. Although I haven't got other reasons to put forward. :)

On my system the effect seems to remain for a period of time (week or two) over a number of listening sessions.
So even if the voice coil does heat up when the tone is played there is still something else going on.

Ouch, sh_t!!

Trouble with listening to anything on a web-page is you never know when it's going to start ...

Anyway it got the cat out the way pretty sharpish, which I suppose is an improvement.

Sorry about that - the ouch, not the cat! :D
I should have recorded some usage instructions on the wav.

I have the tone burned to a CD which I 'play' periodically.

Cheers,

Alex

Well, it took me a couple of days, but I went and did it again this afternoon. I took two new fullranges that I am test driving lately, leaned the enclosures face down into the couch, and muffled them with pillows nearly touching the cones. These units are new to me, so I listenned to a few songs first (before muffling them, of course), played the tone, and listenned again. I really don't know exactly what's going on here. It seems as if I got a similar result as the first time I tried it with the computer system. Seems. In the simplest form of the word...the music sounded different, but is it my brain fooling itself? Am I taking the placebo and reporting back that my backpain is cured? I am more flabbergasted now than before. What the hell is going on here?

The next step will be to see if I detect these changes tomorrow. Maybe I'll try the experiment with much simlper music tracks, maybe not even music at all, but something that will be very easy to identify changes in. The only way to do this for sure would be with some measurement equipment. A lot, actually, because I'm sure that if there are actual changes in output after vs. before playing a loud sine wave, they will not surface through a simple FR scan.

Strange...after hearing it again, I want to believe it even less now. My theories lean toward it all being in my head, but I almost am almost disappointed that I couldn't outsmart my brain out of outsmarting itself. :zombie:

The next step will be to see if I detect these changes tomorrow.
IME, it usually takes a number of weeks for the sound to return to what it was before you played the tone. So if you were to play the tone again after 24 hours there will be no difference.
However, the changes in the sound should still be there the next day.

How did you get on?

Cheers,

Alex

(PS: I've been away for a week without internet, so catching up.)

IME, it usually takes a number of weeks for the sound to return to what it was before you played the tone. So if you were to play the tone again after 24 hours there will be no difference.
However, the changes in the sound should still be there the next day.

How did you get on?

Cheers,

Alex

(PS: I've been away for a week without internet, so catching up.)

When I said that there was a next step, I failed to mention that I have literally dozens of speakers I can try this with and I intended to use the next most familiar set. I didn't, though, but this post has reminded me about it. I'll be back...

I have literally dozens of speakers I can try this with and I intended to use the next most familiar set.

It's worth mentioning that the entire system is effected - source - pre-amp - power amp and speakers.
Changing the speakers only will not undo the effect the tone has made on the other components.
You have to wait for at least a couple of weeks in between playing the tone OR use an entirely different system each time.

Cheers,

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.