To tweet or not to tweet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2009, 01:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default To tweet or not to tweet?

(Still) in the research phase.
I see that most (?) of the Fostex designs on the Fostex site recommend a tweeter, many people here on this site either say they have a tweeter or are seriously considering one.
If I remember right (?) the classic "British" speaker, while not going extremely low in freq response also had a recessed treble to give it a "pleasing balanced sound.
Considering that even the fostex/ 2X alpha open baffle designed by MJK "only goes down to ~40 Hz...
If I was to use a tweeter, now I guess its no longer full range,
Are the Fostex / Audio nirvana ( alas I dont have the change for Jordan's etc) more detailed than a good regular driver that would also go nicely up to a tweeter and down to a separate woofer?
Couldn't you have a flatter frequency response with several drivers.
Where is the question here u ask?
If I buld the Dallas enclosure for a Fostex unit, I want to know before I cut the hole for the fostex if I need a tweeter?
Paul
Old 7th April 2009, 03:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: To tweet or not to tweet?

Quote:
Originally posted by pforeman
If I buld the Dallas enclosure for a Fostex unit, I want to know before I cut the hole for the fostex if I need a tweeter?
Paul
I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer. I believe there are many using the FE206 full-range without missing the top octave, or the bottom ones. IIRC, those with phase plugs and/or Enabled drivers are happier.

If in doubt, put the tweeter in but try it with and without. As you allude, it's easier to put it in up front rather than later. Of course, you could always try to make your co-ax if you decide to add it later.
Old 7th April 2009, 07:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Another thing to think about is if you want your speakers facing forward or toed in... if you prefer to have them facing forward then add the tweeter. This way you can play with the amount of treble you like best. If you don't mind toeing them in you can probably get along without one.

Hide this!Advertise here!