eNabled Fostex F120 on the big site - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2009, 02:04 PM   #11
rkwei is offline rkwei  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting - in Romy's blog he basically proclaims the F120's as unlistenable. Quoted below:

"I have absolutely no idea why the F120A has such a good reputation as it has among the Fostex users. I sincerely feel that Fostex F120A is the absolutely the worst driver I even had in my room and it is not a poetic glorification of my hate to the F120As sound but just a fact. "
Old 7th April 2009, 03:59 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Romy has strong opions for sure.

dave
Old 7th April 2009, 04:38 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Indeed. I don't think he knows the meaning of the word 'compromise' (at least, by his personal measure). I admire that, although I could never be so single minded myself.

What startles me is what on Earth posessed Romy to even listen to a pair, let alone buy some, although clearly, he's not short of a bob or two. With the possible exception of Olson's 15in units from 60 - 70 years ago, & perhaps a couple of others from around that time, they couldn't be much further removed from the type of sound he happens to value, which in an over-simplified sense majors on dynamic BW & headroom. I can't say I blame him for that, as in an ideal world that's likely what I'd go for too, albeit in a different way. But even their most partizan supporters would acknowlege that for all the many things good FR drivers can do well, handling huge dynamic swings, especially in the lower registers, is not amongst them, so his opinion of them was somewhat predicatable.
Old 7th April 2009, 07:06 PM   #14
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, He didn't complain at all about his plastic no name boombox "hamster" drivers. I think he'd have more luck selling them here
Old 7th April 2009, 08:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

One shudders to think, really.
Old 13th April 2009, 04:07 AM   #16
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Default possible quality issue?

As many probably know, the F120A was to be discontinued some years ago. However, turns out that Fostex still had parts around and have done some small production runs to fill orders, i.e., Madisound running out a few times.

This fact causes me to suspect that there might be something different about the latest drivers. Maybe it's a change in assembly technique, different staff, minor material/specification change or whatever. In any case, there are now some very strong opinions in opposing views.

I guess one question for those who recently purchased them... are they labeled as manufactured in Japan or elsewhere (aka China)? I guess it's also possible that break-in time, or a lack of it, could skew the results.

Regards, KM
Old 13th April 2009, 04:18 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: possible quality issue?

Quote:
Originally posted by kmaier
... are they labeled as manufactured in Japan or elsewhere (aka China)?
They were made in Japan. The build quality was at the same level as the other pair i've seen.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!