eNabled Fostex F120 on the big site

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rkwei said:
I Seems like a great price (~$400). Q - are they worth a leap?

In my opinion they are not worth the big leap in price. I have a pair and they are OK but I don't think they are the best driver I have ever heard. They are a really well made driver that sounds good but not "Oh my God, that is amazing!" sounding. I have compared them head to head with the Jordan JX92S and like the Jordan better. While the F120A is a nice driver, I feel it is over rated and over priced.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I didn't get a chance to listen to these in a box, but Jim Rebman's were sure good. Not flashy at all, they just kept pouring out the information we fed them. Very neutral.

These were special ordered by Romy -- with no suggestion from me -- he paid $606 for them. $400 is a very good price.

Spots are dark grey, and he had me paint the chromed bezel (being acrylic it should come off with isopropanol)

I have the measured data for anyone interested.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I note that Romy posted a generic F120A picture. Here is the one i snapped before blackening the chrome. There is a bit of banding on the cone from the way the gloss went on.

dave

Attachments

• f120aen-romys.jpg
    f120aen-romys.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 736
>>>>>http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

by applying the EnABL techniques and some proprietary planet10 techniques ($150 worth) that eliminated all know problems from this driver. The drivers come with measured T/S parameters. The drivers are finished in Black.

Take advantage of the rare and opportunity to get new perfect full-range driver for a near a half price. I would not part with this beauty but by suddenly progressing illness will force my doctor to amputate my ears in two weeks and will not be about to listen my new Fostex F120A anymore… my lost is your found.>>>>

His prose has to be appreciated

:D

Interesting - in Romy's blog he basically proclaims the F120's as unlistenable. Quoted below:

"I have absolutely no idea why the F120A has such a good reputation as it has among the Fostex users. I sincerely feel that Fostex F120A is the absolutely the worst driver I even had in my room and it is not a poetic glorification of my hate to the F120A’s sound but just a fact. "

Indeed. I don't think he knows the meaning of the word 'compromise' (at least, by his personal measure). I admire that, although I could never be so single minded myself.

What startles me is what on Earth posessed Romy to even listen to a pair, let alone buy some, although clearly, he's not short of a bob or two. :scratch: With the possible exception of Olson's 15in units from 60 - 70 years ago, & perhaps a couple of others from around that time, they couldn't be much further removed from the type of sound he happens to value, which in an over-simplified sense majors on dynamic BW & headroom. I can't say I blame him for that, as in an ideal world that's likely what I'd go for too, albeit in a different way. But even their most partizan supporters would acknowlege that for all the many things good FR drivers can do well, handling huge dynamic swings, especially in the lower registers, is not amongst them, so his opinion of them was somewhat predicatable.

possible quality issue?

As many probably know, the F120A was to be discontinued some years ago. However, turns out that Fostex still had parts around and have done some small production runs to fill orders, i.e., Madisound running out a few times.

This fact causes me to suspect that there might be something different about the latest drivers. Maybe it's a change in assembly technique, different staff, minor material/specification change or whatever. In any case, there are now some very strong opinions in opposing views.

I guess one question for those who recently purchased them... are they labeled as manufactured in Japan or elsewhere (aka China)? I guess it's also possible that break-in time, or a lack of it, could skew the results.

Regards, KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.