Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got the CHR-70 into very rough prototype 5-liter BR's. Wow, lots of nice thump in the bass and very pretty shimmery highs. Human voice is very natural. Easy and fun to work with. Is this a trick to get us hooked so we buy the higher models? If so, I think it's working.

either that or multiple projects with the budget series - between those 2 choices, does anybody lose?

I've heard both the CHR70 and Alpair 6, in similar (milli-) sized enclosures, and while the latter is unquestionably more refined in many areas, I think Mark's ability to get even near the same level of performance at the CHR70 (or paper cone EL70), speaks volumes as to his skills. Lots more good things to come, no doubt.

Probably been talked to death elsewhere, but I have to ask, what are the differences between the EnABL'd sound of Mark's speakers and the eN 127's in my living room? Am I going to have to upgrade?

Bud

Dave & I had a short session this afternoon with 3 models of Mark's drivers (CHR & EL70, Alpair 6), as well as the Maple-nabled 127's, and my new Vaughn Audio custom EL34 amp. They certainly didn't all deliver the same levels of detail or soundstage presentation, and I could see how some might prefer the Marks (particularly the EL70) to the Fostex, but I wouldn't consider them an upgrade.

disclosure - all of the drivers except the Alpair 6 were EnAbled, and the paper cone drivers (EL70 and FE127E) were in the prime sized Fonken enclosure, while the metal cones were in the smaller "milli" size boxes (sealed for the CHR and vented for the A-6)

Not having any experience with the drivers Mark builds, I can only hope for even more information depth than the Fe 127 eN's provide. Everything that is there is beautifully rendered. However, we are not at the last bit of refinement nor the last level of detail , low level coherence or internal gradient to notes and transients. First rate music though!

Have those pesky OPT's settled down?

Bud

Have those pesky OPT's settled down?

Bud

Well, I ran it for about 72hrs straight with KPLU on the radio before my first serious listening session, by which time it was sounding very sweet.

I've yet been able to find any flaw in the overall sound of the amp, which squeezes more detail, harmonic richness and bass extension from the 127s than I've heard in my system to date.

a longer wait than I would have liked, but color me happy

I also showed it in another thread, but I thought I list it here as well, a TQWT floorstander with the CHR70: the Torretta.
b_13192.jpg
design by RumoH Zelfbouw Luidsprekers

It does not need any filter, so full range pure music

here is the plan:
TORRETTA tqwt.JPG

If you haven't heard the CHR70 or Alpair 5 or 6's, you might find you don't need a tweeter, although the smaller drivers could definitely benefit from woofers.

Thanks chris, :) id like a 5" - 6" driver tho, and my tweeter on top, or in the cabinet really close to the top.

The last set of Fostex i listened to i really like, however I had to teach my self to sit still and sit in the exact spot for the driver to sound good, as the ( highs ) were projected in a certain degree, so thus adding a tweeter for me helped.

Hi

another type of enclosure for the CHR70 (BR 8 liter):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

look inside (before damping wool)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Inside:
13cmx24cmx28cm (high) about 8,7liters

Minus BR-Chanel etc. it is netto 8 Liter

BR-Channel: 13cmx1,3cm, and 16m long.

Runs down to 50hz, needs lot of damping wool (for BR), all wall covered with "damping10" (felt 10mm)

without any BSC ... just pur music

Try it wtith LINN Classic Music (old stereo-version) LINN K20,
works fine.

Last edited:
Hi joern,

Is this your own design?
How does it sound?
Have you a detailed drawing?
Hi

yes, thats my own design.

here is a description and plans:
http://img130.yfrog.com/i/chr70istmasboxtext.pdf/

Allthough its is in german, the simulation-grafs, pics and the plans will speak for itself.

try it... best by interms of "money for value", I agree with ithe discription in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...sions-question-alpair7-alpair12-owners-2.html

try this little drive and hve fun !

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.