Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
audiosteve said:
Is anyone working on an MLTL for the CHR-70?
Anything to share or report yet?

I have 3 ML-TLs in the queue. Chris should be bringing proof-of-concept boxes up for the cutest ones (& the biggest stretch) Saturday. These will also work with the new EL70 with just a change of port.

The others are large & larger. Each will have a full set of variations.

dave

I have a MLTL design and have built prototypes for the new EL70 as well. As Dave suggests changes for the CHR-70 would likely just be a port tube alteration.

I took my EL70 MLTLs to the Dayton DIY event on July 11th. The EL70 MLTLs are the walnut speakers on the left of the photo next to my Mark Audio Alpair 10 MLTLs in cherry.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/wolf_teeth_speaker/DIY Dayon 09/101_4432.jpg

Jim

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
audiosteve said:
What's an EL70?

Bob announced it yesterday. http://creativesound.ca/

A paper cone driver using the same basket as the CHR70. Will be sold as a CSS EL70 with a limited number treated and sold as P10 EL70eN.

There are a wealth of designs nearing completion for this driver (one of the reason things like the CHR ML-TLs have been delayed)

I will limit my comments to that for now.

dave

gapmedia said:
Could I ask what type of power/intergrated amps you guys are using with your CHR-70's? (D-Class/T-amps, Valve, transistor, Gainclones etc.)
I've heard them *) at home on an transistor amp (HT amp) and on a DIY event driven from a small tube amp, and it was clear that the latter was the better combination, realy outperforming much more expensive systems and even convincing "non-FR" audiophiles of the quality of a modern full range driver.

*) this was my 4liter "closed box with large cap" system

Thanks for your reply Henkjan.

The reason I ask, is that at home using them in a marine ply version of the Mark Audio Pensil 70 TL design I initially thought the speaker was a little 'boomy' in the bass end.
This was using a Tripath based amp. But, after changing the amp to a PP triode connected 6L6 and then an LM3886 based amp it seemed that maybe the smaller T-amp's are unable to damp the largish excursion of the cone in this design as well as the other amps. I haven't played that much with stuffing and positioning yet and noted this effect just changing between amps.

I suppose this is why HareBrained recommends the Dual Chamber Reflex design for the CHR-70.

Excited to hear about the EL-70 as I've heard what I thought was a little metalic 'Sheen' to the top end of some (not all!) voices while listening to the (not yet broken in!) CHR-70's.
At this point I've spent more time listening to these speakers through Tripath based amps and for memory don't think I noticed this 'Sheen' as much with the other two amps. Maybe my love affair with the T-amp is coming to an end?

With the valve amp and the LM3886, even at this early stage, these speakers sound BIG and detailed with more than enough clean bass for my mid-sized room.

Simon

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the problems with our website. Chris in our office is revising our site using new Data-based web software. It's not 100% bug free so still some work to do.

Please feel free to email any ideas, comments and suggestions about our site to Chris. If any information on the site is proving difficult to access, please email: chris@markimage.com

He will be happy to help.

Thanks

Mark.

:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have just finished 2 variations of a microTower ML-TL for the CHR (and EL70)

microTowersx2.gif

I have started a separate threas as there are many variations.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148901

dave

Attachments

• microtower-comp2.jpg
    microtower-comp2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5,402
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.