Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
type said:
I just noticed that these are on say for $55.00 a pair. The Alpair 10's are also on sale for $109 each, which seems like a good deal and they're spec'd to 40hz.

I just received my pair from alpair-usa.com. I spent the US$3 extra for Priority Mail and they crossed the USA in 3 days. Of course, I hooked them up in the box they came in and listened a little. Not bad unbroken-in and OB. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend...

type said:

Which did you get the 70's or the 10's?

CHR70's. They came in gray although I'm pretty sure I ordered the copper. It doesn't really matter to me. Both colors are sharp.

The enclosure will be a dual chamber reflex that I mentioned above but I'm thinking of a little bigger, 9-10L. This will move the frequency of highest ripple down from 100Hz to in the 50's. I have only limited space on my desk, including vertically, so I need to work some numbers before I finalize the dimensions. I also have to see what BB-ply is available locally. I think I'm going to be able to use just one 4x2 handy panel, if available. I also need to pick up some port material (aka. plumbing pipes) and a properly sized hole saw. I'll try to remember to take pics.

Food for thought.....

Scott, Just wondering if you or Dave, and Dave you can answer this one also, have either of you thought of a BVR with two CHR-70’s per side?

I’ve done three test boxes some not optimal due to them being available already built at home but as it stands the ported alignment in a 15LTR cabinet tuned to 50Hz sounded stellar. Huge soundstage, detailed mids and highs and a bottom end that makes the FE127 sound lifeless. In room I’d say I got response down to the mid 30’s to low 40’s and with decent levels also. Figure it this way, with two a side they have much better transient attacks and a much more clean less fatigued or strained sound at higher volumes.

Sealed they sound amazing and with this alignment they seemed much more controlled but with the sacrifice of extension, they are 8LTR sealed and to be honest don’t remember where the roll-off is as this was merely a test. And my whole reason for this thread is to design a speaker that can stand on it’s own without the need for a dedicated sub in most reasonable sized rooms, true? Sealed out….

I also attempted a single sealed driver (8LTR) and a second CHR in a OB on top of the cabinet. These had a magical almost eerie air to them, but only worked well at lower volumes as I had a hard time controlling the open baffle CHR70 from over excursion at higher volumes. Properly Bi-amped and EQ’d to prevent the excursion issues it would be a great design, but alas also needed a sub.

So as it stands a ported design is where I’m headed and to me the best option if a BVR. Now without the knowledge or math required to figure out a BVR design on my own I ask the entering question and say Scott or Dave any ideas?

I’m very happy with the Mark Audio drivers and wouldn’t turn down a chance to try anything new they may offer. Well worth every cent these little guys cost, trust me you’ll be amazed, peace and happy listening.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Food for thought.....

speakrsrfun said:
Scott, Just wondering if you or Dave, and Dave you can answer this one also, have either of you thought of a BVR with two CHR-70’s per side?

Not yet. If we were to do one it would be 1 driver on the front, 1 on the side like Cal's Calhouns.

makes the FE127 sound lifeless

so does the FE127eN. Stock vrs stock i'd give the CHR the nod, but the low efficiency means you can't use the best amps.

dave

i just got a pair of CHR70s and proceeded to put them into a 7ltr front slot BR that i had previously used for the CSS FR125 .

after a couple hours of playing some bass heavy track for burn in, I took a listen and yup, they're truly very nice. Compared to the FR125, the CHR70s are louder, had more detail and better highs.

I like these and will choose them even if they have the same price as the CSS FR125.

Attachments

• chr70.jpg
    chr70.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 6,503
ractis said:
i just got a pair of CHR70s and proceeded to put them into a 7ltr front slot BR that i had previously used for the CSS FR125 .

after a couple hours of playing some bass heavy track for burn in, I took a listen and yup, they're truly very nice. Compared to the FR125, the CHR70s are louder, had more detail and better highs.

I like these and will choose them even if they have the same price as the CSS FR125.

Nice! That makes me even more excited to try out the ones I ordered! What are those enclosures tuned to? Where do you think your low end starts to roll off?

Scottmoose said:
And now for something completely different...

Kind of like a Nessie, but I ignored everything in the Nagaoka design methods (whatever they are -I really didn't bother looking, I prefer to do things my own way). Excuse the rubbish drawing and the equally duff pdf -I couldn't make the gif small enough to upload on the forum.

No, it's not going to be the most 'accurate' box ever done for the CHR. That wasn't why I did it -this is a deliberately characterful cabinet for use in modest rooms that should give some decent bass. Besides, if Feastex do something very similar for $19,000, no reason why we shouldn't have some fun too. ;)

Scott, do you think this design could be altered to accommodate two of the CHR-70 drivers?

Scottmoose said:
Only if

1/ you are willing to accept a substantially larger enclosure

2/ you are not planning on having both drivers on the front baffle

1) Substantially larger as in x2 or bigger?
2)eh......bipole?

I'm building a surround setup for a friend that will be coupled with a sub. I want to use two of the Mark Audio drivers per speaker cabinet to yield an 8ohm final load on his receiver. I'm likely to do a simple BR enclosure for the rear surrounds and the center but I'd like something better for the mains in case he listens to them exclusively in a stereo setting. I was hoping there was something that would limit excursion a bit for the low end.

when i visited markaudio in hongkong, he demonstrate most of his alpairs and CHR-70

with setup like
1. Alpair 5 in small bass reflex with solid wood cabinets
2. Alpair 6 in small bass reflex
3. Non-standard Alpair 10FR in bass reflex.
4. 2 CHR-70 in bass reflex with double port in the front.

We are listening briefly with some classical reference recording, and some coffee lounge album.

the CHR-70 is quite good for the price, looks beautiful also.

He also educated me :D about how he designed the drivers, and why his drivers is quite special compare with other FR, which is FRS125, JX92S, some TANGBANDS with Neo magnets, and standard magnets.

He's a fun guy to talk to.

cheers

Nothing to do with the cabinet, but you're begging for trouble with the forward output -if centre-to-centre spacing between the drivers exceeds 1 wavelength of the highest frequency to be reproduced, the outputs begin to lobe, attenuating the HF & causing multiple deep nulls in the response. If you mounted the CHRs as closely together as possible, this will start to occur from roughly 2.778KHz.

Scottmoose said:
Nothing to do with the cabinet, but you're begging for trouble with the forward output -if centre-to-centre spacing between the drivers exceeds 1 wavelength of the highest frequency to be reproduced, the outputs begin to lobe, attenuating the HF & causing multiple deep nulls in the response. If you mounted the CHRs as closely together as possible, this will start to occur from roughly 2.778KHz.

Eeesh...that sounds bad. Thank you for explaining it to me.

What do you recommend for my application in your personal opinion? I'm open to pretty much any design option since I haven't started building anything yet. As i said before, I'm interested in running two drivers per unit for the 8ohm load and the extra output.

Any reading material I should be looking at?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
italynstylion said:
What do you recommend for my application in your personal opinion?

I was particularily impressed with the way Cal's Calhouns worked. This deserves further exploration. In a BVR that means a driver on the front and one on the side (as the Calhouns) but it could also probably work as one on the front and one on the top (ignoring the potential side effects of gravity on the upward facing driver)

dave

planet10 said:

I was particularily impressed with the way Cal's Calhouns worked. This deserves further exploration. In a BVR that means a driver on the front and one on the side (as the Calhouns) but it could also probably work as one on the front and one on the top (ignoring the potential side effects of gravity on the upward facing driver)

dave

You mentioned the Calhouns but they have 2 drivers in the front baffle even though Scott said this was a bad idea. Why is it ok to do that in that design and how does is get around loabing? Also, I notice there is a half Calhoun design (coming soon) that uses two of the CSS WR or FR125's. Could this be altered for the CHR70's? If it is half (or close) to that of the Calhouns it seems like it would be a great design for my application.

PS: The Calhoun has a different thumbnail picture than the actual PDF file.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.