Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 83 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 08:18 PM   #821
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Personally i don't like anything larger than 9 litres for a reflex for these. The CGR CHR-Ken will accomodate the river on any face.

Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio

dave
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:52 PM   #822
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Did you get an early start at a Super Bowl party?

Bob
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:18 PM   #823
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Nope. Just a sticky spacebar.

dave
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:25 PM   #824
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You boys might want to keep the intimate stuff to PMs? Sounds juicy though. ;-D
Old 18th March 2013, 03:25 AM   #825
SirByrd is offline SirByrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the final version.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th March 2013, 02:51 PM   #826
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default MA chr-70 Semi F.A.S.T question

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I should post this here or start a new thread.

I have a pair of Chr-70 gen3's that I have had in a 9L BR. I am thinking of combining them with a small woofer in what may be termed a FAST system. My goals for doing this are to maintain or improve upon the extension that i get from the chr-70 while adding a bit more weight or impact from the larger sd of the new driver. I also want to relieve the chr from producing bass to see what comes of that. I would like to try the chr in sealed or an open back tunnel on the enclosure.

I envision the total enclosure increasing to ≤15L with about 10L for woofer and 5L for chr. After much searching and consideration, the drivers I have in mind are The Madisound Speaker Store and Visaton W130S-8 5" Woofer with Treated Paper Cone 8 Ohm 292-564

They each show decent extension and roll off characteristics in 10-11L in WinIsd. (I am trying to get acquainted with all the FRD Consortium stuff, but there is a learning curve) The price is about where I want to be for this experiment and the numbers look right. If I'm correct the increased sensitivity should provide a built in 2.5db baffle step?

I plan on crossing them around 200hz first order. Large coil on woofer and large cap on CHR. Not sure if I should cross higher, say 500hz for that built-in baffle step to work. I don't want to run a separate amp for each speaker, I want to keep it more like a typical 2-way.

Am I on the right track for meeting my not to lofty goals? Way off? Out of my mind?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan
Old 25th March 2013, 05:49 PM   #827
diyAudio Member

Cool CHR-70 gen3 Boombox

Hi

I just wanted to show you my experimental project of using a pair of MarkAudio CHR-70's in a Boombox. This was my 3rd Boombox I have built.

Both elements are in 6,5 litres BR. I calculated vents with the winISD. The Box has a 5 Ah Lithium battery, but also possibility to use 230 VAC.

I think it sounds very good and the little T-amp ensures (2x12W), that the xmax of CHR's will not be exceeded.

(The heart blinks by the music.. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rattoradio small.jpg (234.6 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg kuva lootan rakenteesta.JPG (76.8 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg WinISD laskelmat rattoradio.JPG (100.9 KB, 468 views)
Old 5th April 2013, 10:38 PM   #828
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have updated my 2009 Black Beauty design for the CHR70A:
Black Beauty 2013 - a compact monitor with the CHR70A
Old 15th March 2014, 07:23 AM   #829
Honkey is offline Honkey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi All. I just finished these CHR-KEN's with the Enabled Planet_10 Hi-Fi CHR-70.2's . I've been breaking them in and they've been playing at low levels for around thirty hours. This project was my second speaker build and my first with the Mark Audio drivers. They sound great with my Helder Hi-Fi TA2020 amp! Guitars and vocals are excellent and I was pleasantly surprised with the quantity of clean bass these boxes produce. I haven't had a chance to mitre the corners so the ports are currently 198mm long in lieu of 191mm. I hope that doesn't adversely affect the box tuning. I routed out the ports into the 18mm marine ply outer side panels & also made the boxes slightly narrower and slight deeper than the Planet_10 design but maintained the nominated cross sectional area and height. I also installed a 12x18mm wide strip of plywood to the back of the outer side panels to allow for the wool felt lining attached to the rear plywood panel (see last photo). This helps to keep the slot before the ports clear. I hopefully will get around to installing the internal bracing but I'm soooo enjoying listening to the speakers I'm afraid I may never do it!

A BIG THANK YOU to Dave and Chris (Planet_10 Hi-Fi) for your efforts and for supplying the design (and anyone else who helped)!

Regards, Richard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0671.jpg (89.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0672.jpg (76.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0673.jpg (96.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0674.jpg (87.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0685.jpg (94.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 15th March 2014, 07:54 AM   #830
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Richard,

Took you awhile

Longer vents will tune a bit lower.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!