Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 07:05 PM   #801
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakrsrfun View Post
Since I have a couple pairs of these laying around awaiting a glorious home I figured I'd start a thread for others to post their ideas and design applications into.

Hi,

CHR-70 application:

Click the image to open in full size.

It's single stereo speaker with 3 elements. Stereo sound using passive matrix circuit. Steerable directivity pattern. Utilises room as a sound projector.

Elias Pekonen Home Page - Stereophonic Sound from a Single Speaker

- Elias
Old 1st March 2012, 12:26 AM   #802
mashaffer is online now mashaffer  United States
diyAudio Member

What clever grills.
Old 1st March 2012, 04:31 AM   #803
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
Hi,

CHR-70 application:

Click the image to open in full size.

It's single stereo speaker with 3 elements. Stereo sound using passive matrix circuit. Steerable directivity pattern. Utilises room as a sound projector.

Elias Pekonen Home Page - Stereophonic Sound from a Single Speaker

- Elias
Are those 80mm, 92mm or 120mm (computer fan) grilles?
Old 1st March 2012, 04:39 AM   #804
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Given that they are covering CHR, they'd need to be at least 120mm.

dave
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:03 AM   #805
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Yes those are chromed steel fan grills.

There are more behind the concept than the grills

- Elias
Old 6th July 2012, 03:38 PM   #806
sk971 is offline sk971  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys
New on here, and sorry to dig up an old thread but I have a question about these drivers.

I am looking to build some floorstanders with a very small footprint and was originally looking at the Zigmahornet, though there seems to be some issues with this design.
So now I am considering the Pensil70 I wonder if you could advise me wether this is compatible with the new gen3 CHR 70s or EL70.
Also my amp is an old Arcam Delta 290 rated at 75w would this be execessive?

Thanks in advance Simon
Old 6th July 2012, 04:55 PM   #807
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk971 View Post
Hi Guys
New on here, and sorry to dig up an old thread but I have a question about these drivers.

I am looking to build some floorstanders with a very small footprint and was originally looking at the Zigmahornet, though there seems to be some issues with this design.
So now I am considering the Pensil70 I wonder if you could advise me wether this is compatible with the new gen3 CHR 70s or EL70.
Also my amp is an old Arcam Delta 290 rated at 75w would this be execessive?

Thanks in advance Simon

Pensil is a great sounding box (so far I've built for A7.2 and A12.2P), drawing for the CHR70.3 is to be found here:

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensi...-R70s3-map.pdf

Be sure to assemble with removable back to allow for adjustment to damping fill levels - this is a very narrow profile box with a small driver cutout - a very tight fit, and even the smaller drivers benefit from at least minimal bracing .

I've also built a cute little vented mono-pole floorstander for the EL70 - the drawings for which are (to be) included in a complete subscription planset from here:
planet_10 hifi

(if Dave was fully awake as of the hour of this posting, he'd apologize for the current state of confusion of the websites - he's having to conduct a "Dr Frankenstein" reconstruction- attempting to reanimate from an assemblage of broken and mismatched parts) .

Note that the EL70 are nominal 4ohm, but unless your Arcam has conniption fits with this load it should be fine.

Also note that a lot of these "small footprint" floorstanders can be rather tippy, and all benefit from either ballasted / extended base plates.
Old 6th July 2012, 05:17 PM   #808
sk971 is offline sk971  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey Chris

Thanks for you reply.
I was actually looking at the original Pensil70 which is taller and leaner.There doesn't seem to be much info on this design(not a good sign perhaps ?)

I live in london in what can be best descibed as a cosy sized flat and anything with a shallow footprint would be a major advantage.

I can see now that stabilty is a problem so will definately weight them down.

Cheers Simon
Old 6th July 2012, 05:34 PM   #809
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk971 View Post
Hey Chris

Thanks for you reply.
I was actually looking at the original Pensil70 which is taller and leaner.There doesn't seem to be much info on this design(not a good sign perhaps ?)

I live in london in what can be best descibed as a cosy sized flat and anything with a shallow footprint would be a major advantage.

I can see now that stabilty is a problem so will definately weight them down.

Cheers Simon
Simon, the revision to the CHR70's T/S parameters probably explains the dearth of builds / online "reviews" of all enclosures for same - few of us have resources to build (or store) versions of every design for each new version of a model family
-although Sue and Ruth to name at least 2 would attest to our attempts to that goal - each new build Sue sees (which is not all of them ) elicits the same question and rolling of eyes at the reply

"Those are cute/pretty/ etc. - who are they for?"

"Thanks, well , nobody at the moment"

eyes roll here
Old 6th July 2012, 06:03 PM   #810
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The original Pensil was designed by Mark as a BR, the newer Pensils by Scott, and he took into account the quarter-wave action. The original Pensil should be considered obselete.

All 3 of the CHR are close enuff that all but the smallest boxes wotk fine.

dave

Mark Audio CHR-70 Application ThreadHide this!Advertise here!