Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 71 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2011, 09:59 PM   #701
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolby View Post
Ok. I have a couple of bb4.al speakers (basically chr70 2gen) on an MApensil-R70 (147mm x 902 x 229) enclosure from Mark's site.
Click the image to open in full size.
The amp I use is based on tripath 2024. The room where i listen to music is about 4X5 mt.
I like a lot the sound of the speakers with this amp, but some times I would like listening to the music louder.This amp theoretically has 15w output, but only 10 - 11 clean watts.
I'am choosing a new amp, Tclass one. That is why I am interested of knowing how much power will brake my loved bb4. Should I buy amp capable of 40w output, 100, 300?
Hope my question is more clear now, despite of my english :-)

Nolberto

While of course I'd like to suggest hallow state devices ( in which case 15w of tasty EL84 P/P pentode would be a nice option), 40W of decent Class T or conventional SS should be more than adequate for all but the most extreme dance parties, and more affordable as well.
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:14 PM   #702
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
While of course I'd like to suggest hallow state devices ( in which case 15w of tasty EL84 P/P pentode would be a nice option), 40W of decent Class T or conventional SS should be more than adequate for all but the most extreme dance parties, and more affordable as well.
Chris,

I'm sure glad that you were here to answer this one, as I've never been allowed to stay long enough at a party for the dancing to start!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:22 AM   #703
joern is offline joern  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...FWIW, it's long been a trope in audio shop service departments that the number one killer of tweeters was too little power - nasty heating of voice coils by distortion products when amps are run into continuous deep clipping. Perhaps not so much of an issue with full range drivers with their generally more robust VC and excursion capacities.
Hello

I agree with this.
We tried the CHR70 with an Linn Clout amplifer. The pre-amp display showed "80" (of 100) - which should be even much more than 20W !
But power with a strong, very clear signal. Drivers still work. Nice sound, very loud. On the other hand - the sound wasn't that "smoth" any more - so the driver was at it's limit's. And not as "fleet footed" as drivers with larger SD.

So try amplifer with more power - it will work.
But for disco / dacing events, i would prefer other speakers, that are made for this purpose.

best regards
Jörn
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:36 AM   #704
nolby is offline nolby  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joern View Post
Hello
I agree with this.
We tried the CHR70 with an Linn Clout amplifer. The pre-amp display showed "80" (of 100) - which should be even much more than 20W !
But power with a strong, very clear signal. Drivers still work. Nice sound, very loud. On the other hand - the sound wasn't that "smoth" any more - so the driver was at it's limit's. And not as "fleet footed" as drivers with larger SD.
So try amplifer with more power - it will work.
But for disco / dacing events, i would prefer other speakers, that are made for this purpose.
best regards
Jörn
Thanks for your answers. It helps me to think about what I need.
May be I will go for an amp with tk2050 chip from Hifimediy. If I do, I'll turn back to tell you how it sounds with the bb4.al

Nolberto
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:38 AM   #705
diyAudio Member

Quote:
While of course I'd like to suggest hallow state devices ( in which case 15w of tasty EL84 P/P pentode would be a nice option)
Every advice is welcome, I'am new in the music diy world and know nothing about electronics. For the moment I'm exploring the Tworld, in the meanwhile I'll try to hear some EL84 P/P from some folk near here.
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:56 AM   #706
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joern View Post
best regards
Jörn
Hi Jörn,
I really can't stand the BUMPBUMP! car music :-)
I like a lot how this little fullrange bb4 sound.
But if you listen to say "How Cum Ya Gotta Rip Off Your Brothers?" - John Klemmer for example, you need some power.

Nolberto
Old 5th March 2011, 10:54 AM   #707
diyAudio Member

CHR70 Gen.3 is in the offing. CHR-70 GENERATION 3 - COMING SOON If you have any thoughts on what you'd like to see in the new version, this looks to be a good opportunity to tell Mark & try to get them incorporated.
Old 6th April 2011, 04:56 AM   #708
diyAudio Member

Well I thought I finally better get round to finishing my mMarS I built at the end of last year pictured below
Click the image to open in full size.
I just got some nice Jarrah veneer to put on them.

I have a question about stuffing before I go and seal them all up. I bought some stuff called hobbyfill I'm pretty sure it is what you call polyfill and I tried them stuffed evenly with 0.75 lbs/ft^3. From listening between one stuffed and one not the stuffed one has better bass, is that how it is supposed to be? What density should I use and should I pack any part any denser.

Cheers,
James

Last edited by porthillsbomber; 6th April 2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 6th April 2011, 05:09 AM   #709
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

looks fine as is

i see a small dent on the left speaker. i actually experience this also to my alpair 5, although i didnt hear any difference between them.

jarrah have a very nice grain.

cheers
henry
Old 6th April 2011, 05:16 AM   #710
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If the midrange starts to close in, you have added too much. Adding damping increases the apparent box volume lowering the box Q. It will also flatten the resonance bump.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!