Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 66 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2010, 04:32 PM   #651
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillerdoc View Post
Hmmmm...just picked a couple pairs of these up. Was wondering if I reworked the front baffle of my Chili Changs if I might use two or even three of these drivers in the Chili cabinet....any thoughts on this.

My wife hates these Chilis and at some point they have to go, in fact they are for sale on the swap meet threads. No takers to date so I am thinking of experimenting with them a little. Maybe just remove the 167 from the baffle and use a thin piece of ply to fit over the face and cut two holes for the 70's?
Any thoughts?

What exactly doe she hate about the Chilis? If it's the size/aesthetics, I can highly recommend a different design for dual CHR (or EL) 70s :

Click the image to open in full size.

my personal favorite for room placement flexibility and soundstage presentation is the version on the left.

another design that has been quite successful with this size driver (but which I've not yet heard) is the bipole Metronome
Old 7th December 2010, 08:07 PM   #652
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Hmmmm...just picked a couple pairs of these up. Was wondering if I reworked the front baffle of my Chili Changs if I might use two or even three of these drivers in the Chili cabinet....any thoughts on this.

...Any thoughts?
I don't have the capability of predicting the effects of the horn loading of the vents, but 3 drivers per box looks like it could work based on a more primitive sim and a bit of guesswork.

Scott?

dave
Old 7th December 2010, 08:21 PM   #653
diyAudio Member

You know, thinking about it, I could do this without destroying them. I could place an aluminum 1/8" thick plate over the Fostex hole and mount a single onto the plate...and adaptor of sorts. Then I could cut the holes out for the other two drivers on each side, Kinda like the Lotusx2 but making a Lotusx3. If it doesn't work out it would be very easy to cover the side holes and return them back to a Fostex driver.

Dave, what about putting a single CHR70 on the front baffle and then use two of the less expensive Eh70's (I think that's what they are called, the paper coned one that is basically the same size) on either side? What would need to be done to tune it properly once it is set up? Maybe fill the CC a little or block part of the outlets into each horn a little? If I can't sell them as they are (and they are very nice...) then I guess it would be fun to try something like this and report it back here.
So Dave, you think three would be optimal? What about four, two on the front and one on each side....or maybe one on every side, close to a true monopole?
If I did three driver I was thinking of running the two side drivers in parallel then run both of those in series with the front. Any other suggestions on What to do here?
Dave, do you have any of the plain, cheap EH 70's for sale at your site? I would need another pair to do this.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 7th December 2010, 08:36 PM   #654
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Dave, what about putting a single CHR70 on the front baffle and then use two of the less expensive Eh70's (I think that's what they are called, the paper coned one that is basically the same size) on either side?
The idea of side mounting #2&3 was my 2nd thot after the obvious short array.

EL70 is at least 3 dB more efficient than CHR so mixing is very problematic. It also wants a larger box (so a very weaj analysis would indicate 2 in the volume of Chli), so i'd discard the idea. EL70 & CHR70 are about the same price, if anything CHR is cheaper (shipping from Wisconsin vrs BC).

dave
Old 7th December 2010, 09:25 PM   #655
diyAudio Member

Don't overlook the need for creative wiring arrangement for uneven multiples of any of the approx 4ohm Mark Audio drivers (now if they were 16ohms , it could be a different story )
Old 13th December 2010, 08:34 PM   #656
diyAudio Member

Default Which ones to build?

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble deciding which cabinets to build for my first project. I was thinking of the pensils but from my listening position in bed I would be looking down on them and they would be partially obscured by the end of the bed and the bedposts, would that matter? I'm also thinking about some speaker on stands that I could put right at the end of the bed or bookshelves on the bedside tables either side. Another option would be on top of the bedposts which stop 400m from the ceiling.

What I have to work with is:
A pair of CHR-70s (not sure which version how would I tell?)
an 8x4 of 17mm pine plywood
A tablesaw and router, drill etc

Attached is a quick sketch of my room. Ceiling is standard height 2.5m?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I really want to start building asap.

Cheers,
James
Attached Images
File Type: png my room.png (19.3 KB, 724 views)
Old 13th December 2010, 09:34 PM   #657
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthillsbomber View Post
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble deciding which cabinets to build for my first project. I was thinking of the pensils but from my listening position in bed I would be looking down on them and they would be partially obscured by the end of the bed and the bedposts, would that matter? I'm also thinking about some speaker on stands that I could put right at the end of the bed or bookshelves on the bedside tables either side. Another option would be on top of the bedposts which stop 400m from the ceiling.

What I have to work with is:
A pair of CHR-70s (not sure which version how would I tell?)
an 8x4 of 17mm pine plywood
A tablesaw and router, drill etc

Attached is a quick sketch of my room. Ceiling is standard height 2.5m?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I really want to start building asap.

Cheers,
James

milli-sized box mounted near ceiling corners, aimed at bed?
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-231009.pdf

these aren't large, difficult to build, or too heavy for mounting with adjustable wall brackets - and should fit above the door on the left side (you might need to turn sideways?)
Old 13th December 2010, 09:55 PM   #658
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
milli-sized box mounted near ceiling corners, aimed at bed?
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-231009.pdf

these aren't large, difficult to build, or too heavy for mounting with adjustable wall brackets - and should fit above the door on the left side (you might need to turn sideways?)
Thanks Chris, I never thought about wall mounted, I'll see what that looks like when I get home. Those were the cabinets I initially planned to build until I got this big sheet of wood.

Edit: What about this idea? Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread
Also can the pensils be pushed right against the wall or do they sound better standing out a bit?

Last edited by porthillsbomber; 13th December 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 17th December 2010, 08:09 AM   #659
diyAudio Member

Here's a quick something I knocked together using the CHR-70 and a few bits of 6" pipe.

Used as my PC speakers, I couldn't be happier

Thanks Dave for recommending using 6" pipe over the 4", heaps better bass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHR-70 TL.jpg (149.6 KB, 692 views)

Last edited by thunk303; 17th December 2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Credit
Old 17th December 2010, 08:41 AM   #660
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thunk,

I like em.

How did you do the bit the driver mounts to?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!