Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2010, 05:10 AM   #401
diyAudio Member

dMar-Ken70 progress picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

Nothing very exciting yet, but now that I've got a few of the tricks down, the second box will go together pretty easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07032010.jpg (334.6 KB, 855 views)
Old 7th March 2010, 06:16 AM   #402
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nanook.
Old 7th March 2010, 06:34 AM   #403
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Always helps to have lotsa clamps...

dave
Old 7th March 2010, 07:18 AM   #404
diyAudio Member

That's what's slowing me down - those are all the good clamps I have, so it's preventing me building the second box.

Notes for those who have built Onken's before: you'll note that the outer walls seem longer than strictly necessary - they are, but only because the bloke I had cut the timber got lazy and cut 12 backs instead of 4 backs and 8 sides. Doesn't matter, they'll get lopped off.

Further note: using a nailgun (and glue) to build up the side wall assemblies saves a lot of time and clamps
Old 7th March 2010, 07:59 AM   #405
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeekerr View Post
Further note: using a nailgun (and glue) to build up the side wall assemblies saves a lot of time and clamps
A brad gun is very useful... even if you are finishing the ply the sidewalls can use brad nails from the inside. If we are going to veneer the box, ie most of the time, the brad nails get used thru-out the assembly

dave
Old 7th March 2010, 09:02 AM   #406
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default keith_correa, you're welcome

please consider my previous post as a guide only, of course. I'm not trying to persuade any to not build these great little speakers (well, not tiny, but pretty small). The Mark Audio drivers in modified form are quite critical of edgy sounding electronics and sources, and wiring, and...

I imagine the stock ones are more so, as EnABLing smooths out a lot of "edginess". I am not trying to play "audio snob" to any, as those who know me know that I am not, nor am I driven by the cost of a particular component to consider it to be "good"

The comparison to the MS Avant 906i loudspeakers is accurate though. I suspect any design using the CHR-70 drivers (whether stock or EnABLed, or is it eNabled?) will be critical of all that is in front of them in the audio chain.
Old 7th March 2010, 10:49 AM   #407
diyAudio Member

Hey Dave, I've got a new project for you - the uMarOB-70

Construction takes only seconds - indeed, everything you need is in the box.

Bass response could be said to be a bit thin, in much the same way that water is a bit damp, but even like this these drivers are very involving. I was only going to set them up downstairs to break them in, but they appear to have ended up on my desk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uMar-KenOB70.jpg (484.6 KB, 837 views)
Old 7th March 2010, 11:59 AM   #408
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeekerr View Post
Hey Dave, I've got a new project for you - the uMarOB-70

Construction takes only seconds - indeed, everything you need is in the box.

Bass response could be said to be a bit thin, in much the same way that water is a bit damp, but even like this these drivers are very involving. I was only going to set them up downstairs to break them in, but they appear to have ended up on my desk
Haha, that's brilliant! just the driver "in" the box, wired straight to the amp?
Old 7th March 2010, 12:05 PM   #409
diyAudio Member

Yeah, when they're shipped they're supported in the box by a bit of folded cardboard - add a bit of tape to keep the cardboard box-shaped and screw them in with the supplied self tapping screws and you have something that sounds damn good for the invested time, if not for the money
Old 7th March 2010, 06:51 PM   #410
diyAudio Member

Any way you can PM me about being a beta tester for these Dave? I have a few pairs of CHR-70's that need a home, just sitting on a shelf mocking me. Anyway, PM me in private if I could be in the running.... Peace and keep well.

Hide this!Advertise here!