Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2010, 04:41 AM   #391
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makk View Post
hmm. You're right about halfTower. That design is only 35mm wider than what I had in mind (if possible I need more narrow). It's also shorter but can be "lifted" - halfTower is 838mm tall. I need to make it about 1200mm. Does half tower lose it's meaning if vent is done like this:
The cross-section can be changed as long as area remains the same. One has to be careful if made too narrow. This brings the sidewalls close to the driver and can cause a "cupped" or "chesty" midrange colouration. Port can be moved from the bottom, to the front, back, or side. Just keep it as close to the bottom as practical. You can mount it on a wall, or lift it up as required.

dave
Old 6th March 2010, 08:09 AM   #392
diyAudio Member

So, are the plans for the dMar-Ken released? If yes, can someone point me to them please?
Old 6th March 2010, 08:25 AM   #393
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave
My garage is covered in glue and clamps - my dMar-Ken70 won't be finished tomorrow, but they should be done next weekend
Old 6th March 2010, 08:39 AM   #394
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_correa View Post
So, are the plans for the dMar-Ken released? If yes, can someone point me to them please?
The plans for these will not be in general release. Contact me.

dave
Old 6th March 2010, 09:22 AM   #395
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default dMar-Kens, con't

oops, sorry if I let the cat out of the bag.

I guess you might consider myself and TheSeeker as "beta" testers. My enthusiasm did overtake me. Sorry Dave. Thanks to Mike (my audio "partner") for being game to try these out as well.

keith_correa:

I'd suggest that you do contact Dave, and order up at least a pair of his modified drivers, and build these. But there is at least one serious caveat. These speakers may be driven by various amplifiers, but you may choose to wait to see what further listening tests reveal regarding amplifier matching. I knew the old SR receiver would be a good match, based on its use with various fullrange drivers. Not all amps may be as compatible. Tubes and t-amps should be as well, depending on quality and type of tubes used. Hot sounding SS designs should not be used---these speakers are particularly revealing and many SS amps simply won't allow you to enjoy them. Your face could get ripped off , depending on whether the amp used is "hot" sounding. Naim amplification should also be very enjoyable with these speakers, I think. A Naim Nait integrated could do wonders, but again this is only a suggestion and I have no way of verifying this.

I blew a fuse in my McCormack amp last night, so won't be able to report on that until at least tomorrow, but it is a big smooth sounding amp, not in yer face at all. I suspect it will do well with these speakers.

Hope this helps any who may be sitting on the fence regarding these drivers. Methinks the sound easily justifies the cost in modified form. I am sure Dave will have a few sleepless nights modifying larger batches of these drivers. Again, sorry Dave.
Old 6th March 2010, 10:39 PM   #396
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default No new listening notes, but sources...

keith_correa:

As well as my comments regarding the amplifier(s) of choice to consider, also look at your sources. If typical consumer schlock, then start there. Even a decent $100 dvd player, may sound better than your current cd player. Also look at speaker cables. Remember to consider the system as a system, not a group of individual components.

This is not a comment or statement about spending $$$. If there is a giant killer out there, and you are considering an upgrade (not a change for its own sake), then consider a purchase.

If you are confident in the suitability of your system, then buy the drivers, and build these. If you must have more bass, use a good quality powered sub, or build one (or 2 which is much better).

count on about USD$300 (maybe a little more) to build the enclosures and drivers. The rest can go towards internal wiring, binding posts, stuffing, etc. If you like the multi-ply look then seal them, then some stain or paint, then a coat or two of poly. Budget either buying or building a good set of stands or make a stereo pair of subs that they can sit on.
Old 7th March 2010, 12:31 AM   #397
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm curious, has anybody used the CHR-70s in an Open Baffle?

What kind of frequency response can be expected? Would they be usable full-range with a sub?
Old 7th March 2010, 01:12 AM   #398
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CHR-70 should be fine in an open baffle as mid tweeter with helper woofer in the vein of Martin King's passive OB. The low efficiency of the CHR gives a much wider selection of woofers.

dave
Old 7th March 2010, 02:15 AM   #399
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
CHR-70 should be fine in an open baffle as mid tweeter with helper woofer in the vein of Martin King's passive OB. The low efficiency of the CHR gives a much wider selection of woofers.

dave
Thanks, that's kind of the line I was thinking along, but was wondering what sort of range the crossover would need to be. Still in passive territory, or down in active territory.
Old 7th March 2010, 03:36 AM   #400
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Active makes it easier, but passive should be doable.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!