Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2010, 10:41 PM   #371
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by human.bin View Post
wow! i mean is it a wacom tablet monitor?
Yeah! It's a Cintiq 21UX. I do a bit of illustration/animation, and I have some RSI/muscle tension issues in my arms. The Cintiq is FAR more ergonomic than using a tablet. My roommate actually owns it, but we're working on some video game development and I'm kinda the lead artist for what we're working on so I get the honor of using it, currently

Quote:
since its an all computer rig you can try something like the sealed alpair-5 pushed to 20hz flat, to see where the chr-70 can arrive nearfield... there is a thread here explaining how to get powerful VST equalizer under win and foobar
Ooh, yeah, I remember reading that thread awhile back! I will indeed have to give that a shot!

Quote:
ps. are you using a right-handed mouse with your left hand?
Yup! I use it in both hands. I have a second mouse that sits to the right, too. I like to switch back and forth as my right arm otherwise gets way too tense and painful if I'm using it all day.

It took a little getting used to, the left handed mouse thing, but it's not so bad for just basic clicking around. When doing serious work and/or gaming, I swap to right hand
Old 25th February 2010, 10:58 PM   #372
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by human.bin View Post
wow! i mean is it a wacom tablet monitor?
Those monitors are very nice. I've sold a couple to clients who really like them.

dave
Old 25th February 2010, 11:25 PM   #373
diyAudio Member

if you have problems with foobar or sourcing the components PM me, if you'll test it i'll be very curious at what the chr-70 can do.

also let us know when the game is ready!
Old 26th February 2010, 12:21 AM   #374
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default nice monitor...

off topic, but (dave or others), anyway to create a tablet style monitor on my own?

er I did get a Bamboo Fun for Xmas though...trying to learn to use it effectively

Can't wait to hear the dMar-Kens....

Last edited by Nanook; 26th February 2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 26th February 2010, 12:33 AM   #375
diyAudio Member

you can probably do it in the less time than i spend to come up with a speaker built (which is still an unknown span of time, now running more than 8 months from the day i ordered the drivers )

UK artist builds DIY Wacom Cintiq tablet for under $200 -- Engadget

Bongofish - DIY Cintiq - Part 1
Old 26th February 2010, 02:02 AM   #376
diyAudio Member

Nice tablet, I'm a computer graphic designer and have used the cintiq a few times , wish I had the funding to own a 21U but at the moment I don't. It will be nice when these type of input devices are available at reasonable prices to the general public. I await the results of the miliFonken and once again cool tablet.
Old 26th February 2010, 02:49 AM   #377
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'm thinking that an appropriate piece of software could change the ipad into a budget version of the cinq

dave
Old 26th February 2010, 04:16 AM   #378
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I'm thinking that an appropriate piece of software could change the ipad into a budget version of the cinq

dave
Not so much. It's a very very different technology.

Well, let me elaborate on that. Any tablet PC or touchscreen can be used for basic drawing, but there are specific advantages to certain technologies.

The technology on the iPad is the same as on most touch phones these days. It uses the specific capacitance of human skin to determine where you're pressing. A human finger is not very accurate, not to mention you can't see what you're drawing on as it's obscured by your finger. There are special styluses that work that are designed to mimic a finger, but there isn't any pressure sensitivity, which is one of the biggest meaningful features of a drawing tablet. The benefits of drawing ON the screen are not so great that they overcome the benefits of the accuracy and pressure/angle sensitivity of a drawing tablet. Instead of spending 400 bucks on an iPad, you could get a nice large Wacom tablet and just use that.

The wacom tablets use a circuitboard the emits an electromagnetic field that extends an inch or so from the surface of the tablet. The stylus is a very sophisticated thing that has the pressure sensitivity built into the pen itself, and it powers itself using the EMF from the tablet, so there are no batteries involved. It then transmits pressure information back to the tablet, and the tablet calculates it's position based on it's location within the field. It can do this with insane sub-pixel accuracy. Crazy crazy stuff!
Old 26th February 2010, 04:58 AM   #379
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Trying to use a Wacom drives me crazy. Some of my customers won't use anything else.

dave
Old 1st March 2010, 12:45 PM   #380
diyAudio Member

Default mMarS - almost done

Hey folks, here's my effort - using Dave's splendid mMarS design:

Click the image to open in full size.

Did these as a practice build before trying some newer wall-mounted designs. Terrible iPhone pic, and currently only finished in primer (not sure what final colour to go with), and lacking stuffing, but sounding good nonetheless!