Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok. I have a couple of bb4.al speakers (basically chr70 2gen) on an MApensil-R70 (147mm x 902 x 229) enclosure from Mark's site.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The amp I use is based on tripath 2024. The room where i listen to music is about 4X5 mt.
I like a lot the sound of the speakers with this amp, but some times I would like listening to the music louder.This amp theoretically has 15w output, but only 10 - 11 clean watts.
I'am choosing a new amp, Tclass one. That is why I am interested of knowing how much power will brake my loved bb4. Should I buy amp capable of 40w output, 100, 300?
Hope my question is more clear now, despite of my english :)

Nolberto

While of course I'd like to suggest hallow state devices ( in which case 15w of tasty EL84 P/P pentode would be a nice option), 40W of decent Class T or conventional SS should be more than adequate for all but the most extreme dance parties, and more affordable as well.

While of course I'd like to suggest hallow state devices ( in which case 15w of tasty EL84 P/P pentode would be a nice option), 40W of decent Class T or conventional SS should be more than adequate for all but the most extreme dance parties, and more affordable as well.

Chris,

I'm sure glad that you were here to answer this one, as I've never been allowed to stay long enough at a party for the dancing to start!
:whacko:

Best Regards,
TerryO

...FWIW, it's long been a trope in audio shop service departments that the number one killer of tweeters was too little power - nasty heating of voice coils by distortion products when amps are run into continuous deep clipping. Perhaps not so much of an issue with full range drivers with their generally more robust VC and excursion capacities.
Hello

I agree with this.
We tried the CHR70 with an Linn Clout amplifer. The pre-amp display showed "80" (of 100) - which should be even much more than 20W !
But power with a strong, very clear signal. Drivers still work. Nice sound, very loud. On the other hand - the sound wasn't that "smoth" any more - so the driver was at it's limit's. And not as "fleet footed" as drivers with larger SD.

So try amplifer with more power - it will work. ;)
But for disco / dacing events, i would prefer other speakers, that are made for this purpose. :rolleyes:

best regards
Jörn

Hello
I agree with this.
We tried the CHR70 with an Linn Clout amplifer. The pre-amp display showed "80" (of 100) - which should be even much more than 20W !
But power with a strong, very clear signal. Drivers still work. Nice sound, very loud. On the other hand - the sound wasn't that "smoth" any more - so the driver was at it's limit's. And not as "fleet footed" as drivers with larger SD.
So try amplifer with more power - it will work. ;)
But for disco / dacing events, i would prefer other speakers, that are made for this purpose. :rolleyes:
best regards
Jörn
Thanks for your answers. It helps me to think about what I need.
May be I will go for an amp with tk2050 chip from Hifimediy. If I do, I'll turn back to tell you how it sounds with the bb4.al

Nolberto

Well I thought I finally better get round to finishing my mMarS I built at the end of last year pictured below

I just got some nice Jarrah veneer to put on them.

I have a question about stuffing before I go and seal them all up. I bought some stuff called hobbyfill I'm pretty sure it is what you call polyfill and I tried them stuffed evenly with 0.75 lbs/ft^3. From listening between one stuffed and one not the stuffed one has better bass, is that how it is supposed to be? What density should I use and should I pack any part any denser.

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
looks fine as is :D

i see a small dent on the left speaker. i actually experience this also to my alpair 5, although i didnt hear any difference between them.

jarrah have a very nice grain.

cheers
henry

There is actually two, some how I managed to slip while screwing the screws and stab the cone on two separate occasions, very annoying.

Yes I agree, I'll be sure to post pics here when I'm done

If the midrange starts to close in, you have added too much. Adding damping increases the apparent box volume lowering the box Q. It will also flatten the resonance bump.

dave

Ok thanks Dave, I will do a some more experimenting with density. Should I stuff it evenly through the box?

Another CHR-Ken

Finished building a pair of CHR-Kens today. Haven't veneered them yet. Made with 18 mm plywood. These have a removable back - will take care of the cables sticking out of the ports and put nice binding posts when I'm sure the damping has been done properly.

Imaging is very good and the disappearing act that these can put in is truly amazing! With good recordings, it was like the the speakers weren't there, rather sounds were coming from different ares in front of me... characteristics of the Planet10 Onken boxes? Very clear mids and highs, plenty of detail; amount of bass they are putting out is also nice for 4" drivers. It's 3:20 am in the morning and I'm listening - so these must be fun. :)

-Zia

Attachments

• CHR-Kens new.jpg
    CHR-Kens new.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 810
Detail retrieval from the Mark Audio driver I have is just amazing. You have an En set of drivers and that along with the superb Fonken cabinet does disappear quite magically. You can increase this characteristic by applying the patterns on the face of the box too. I will be exploring exactly this when a new set of cabinets arrive, with or without Chris B in attendance. I will make sure the info is posted on the EnABL listening site so you can adapt it if you like.

The speaker systems you and I and a bunch of other fortunate folks have from Dave really are just about the music. Bravo Dave!

Bud

Don,

Lined according to the plans and the speakers work as promised. :) This is the first time I've used the recycled denim felt, so was extra careful and kept the option of a removable back in case I got anything wrong.

I am happy that I tried these out. Now I am seriously considering Twin CHR-Ken or rather Mar-Kel^2 for another project.

-Zia

Last edited:
Zia,

I have a pair of the Alpair 7 drivers, apparently two of just a few from an early production cycle. They have an extremely refined sound, very even handed presentation, but not a ton of dramatic color, like the 127's have. I did go ahead and complete an EnABL 2.0 analysis and treatment on the 127's I have here. This removed all tendency to shriek and provided even more transparency, but they are still not at the level of the Alpair 7's. That colorful presentation is still very beguiling though....

Bud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.