Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2010, 04:59 AM   #351
diyAudio Member

Default Made a test box

Back in Post 322 I mentioned that I was building a portable mini-console for my granddaughter and had gotten a set of 70s for that purpose. Well I finally got around to knocking up something for testing.

Click the image to open in full size.

I took the easy way out. I had some old Onkyo mini-speakers on hand so I took the guts out of one and knocked up a quick and dirty particle board baffle. It is a pretty sturdy box with lots of fiberglass stuffing. I just did one to start.

I didn't have a mono setup (or one with a mono switch) at my finger tips so I just used one channel of my HT and turned the balance all the way over and threw in a Phil Driscoll CD. I was quite surprised by how good the mid-bass was (down to about 60Hz I estimate was quite good). Plenty of SPL and what seemed to be very accurate midrange. Very clear and dynamic it was and the highs were right there (as high up as my old ears can hear anyway) but not exaggerated.

So far so good. I will make up the other one so I can do some more detailed testing and then I will be ready to try different amplifier topologies.

As to the built in subwoofer I am thinking of using a long throw 8" and trying out that trick where you use a box made intentionally too small and operate it entirely below the box roll off with a compensating 2nd order low pass filter. This would be in order to keep size down without sacrificing too much extension.
Old 15th February 2010, 05:51 AM   #352
diyAudio Member

Default Markaudio Pensil 70 cabinets

For anyone interested, I have listed for sale two pairs of cabinets based on the Markaudio Pensil 70 plan for the CHR-70 driver in the vendors section of the forum. I have done this with the permission of Mark Fenlon of Markaudio.

Markaudio Pensil70 cabinets for sale

Simon
Old 15th February 2010, 07:30 AM   #353
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The milliSize CHR miniOnken is done, and beta testing is underway.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 15th February 2010, 05:41 PM   #354
AndrewL is offline AndrewL  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ohh that looks nice, photies of the prototypes please sometime. The milli's are the old BBC monitor size, are they not?

-- Andrew
Old 15th February 2010, 05:45 PM   #355
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

MilliSize is almost spot on LS3/5A size (but rotated, as if the driver is on the side of the BBC monitor). These are about twice the volume (deciSize)

dave
Old 15th February 2010, 05:49 PM   #356
diyAudio Member

Ah these are so wider deeper and/or higher?

-- Andrew
Old 15th February 2010, 06:17 PM   #357
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

narrower & deeper

173 x 297 x 178.5 mm (milli) vrs 190 x 304 x 165 mm (w x h x d)

(the last from info on the net, i didn't go down and actually measure the set i have there)

dave
Old 15th February 2010, 06:27 PM   #358
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
narrower & deeper

173 x 297 x 178.5 mm (milli) vrs 190 x 304 x 165 mm (w x h x d)

(the last from info on the net, i didn't go down and actually measure the set i have there)

dave
OK bigger, but not significantly....how do they sound in comparison?

-- Andrew
Old 15th February 2010, 07:31 PM   #359
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The LS3/5A are in the midst of restoration. A friend bought them at the local hifi emporium (he always wanted a pair -- he still has his BC-1 i sold him in the late 70s), and when the milliFonken destroyed them, we opened them up to find that someone had taken the carcass of a dead set of LS3/5A and faked it. Wrong B110, dimpled T27, totally different XO.

Parts are mostly in the UK at the moment, awaiting one last bit before wending their way here.

dave
Old 15th February 2010, 09:10 PM   #360
diyAudio Member

Are they for the new CHR70, Dave? Does it make a difference?

Hide this!Advertise here!