Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maeshowe

Hi

I was lucky enough to have been recently invited to Alan Elsdon's house for a demo of his Maeshowe's... :) What a cracking pair of speakers! I was really surprised by the amount of bass these tiny MA-70s produce. The size of the cabinet was also far less imposing than I had imagined.

I fancy another speaker build and Alan has kindly offered to bring them over to my house for a demo. We both run F5 amps so it will be interesting to hear them in a different environment.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm really liking the way these MA drivers look in a BLH. Good with SS amps and put out good base too. I'm going to give the Lotus^2 a whirl and see how my NAD 275BEE likes them.

I'm well into a Tubelab Simple SE build that was intended to drive a full range of some sort but it will not work I fear with the CHR-70's low spl.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm really liking the way these MA drivers look in a BLH.

Which horns?

I'm well into a Tubelab Simple SE build that was intended to drive a full range of some sort but it will not work I fear with the CHR-70's low spl.

That would be what people would normally supose. What i do know is that Don (aka Doorman) won a set of CHR70eN @ diyFEST, put them in a set of CHR-Ken and despite ~10 dB less efficiency is using them now instead of his Fonken167 with his 3W amp.

dave

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dave - I was looking at Scott's Silbury with the Alpair 10 for the higher SPL but the rave reviews of the Lotus^2 caught my eye. Looks to me like one sheet of plywood will do the trick as well. I certainly will try the Lotus^2's with the Simple SE, was planning to use the big Edcor Opts at any rate and they may just be up to the task.

Last edited:
Honestly I dont believe the SPL numbers on the CHR-70. I have been using these in Fonken cabs. I have played them with a Pass F5, SimpleSE, and a P-P EL84 running about 11W.

I had a mishap with the F5 while trying to hotrod it and lost my CHR-70s. I put my old Polk Audio M4.5's that have an SPL of 90 or 91 I believe.

These little CHR-70s have more bass and play just as loud as far as I'm concerned.

I immediatly put another pair on order and plan to revert the F5 back to stock. It took them a while to break in but after about a few weeks of listening these drivers really came into their own.

I could only imagine what they would be like in some BiBs or small towers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was looking at Scott's Silbury with the Alpair 8 for the higher SPL but the rave reviews of the Lotus^2 caught my eye. Looks to me like one sheet of plywood will do the trick as well.

Silbury is for Alpair 10 ... no Alpair 8 exists. It may need some small adjustment for the new Alpair10.2, but not much if my experience with the Mar-Ken10 is an indication.

Lotus gets raves, but so does Coniston^2. Steven has built both, maybe he can comment.

dave

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm going to give the Coniston^2 a shot. Ordered the drivers last night. My listening room is 12 x 22' but I sit about 12' from the baffles. I could increase the listening position to 15' without much trouble.

I can always try the micro tower dipoles if the Coniston's prove too large.

Which horns?

That would be what people would normally supose. What i do know is that Don (aka Doorman) won a set of CHR70eN @ diyFEST, put them in a set of CHR-Ken and despite ~10 dB less efficiency is using them now instead of his Fonken167 with his 3W amp.

dave
Er, thats 3 1/2 watts!!!
Yes. In my 12' x 22' room, seated 10' away, they play louder than I'd ever require. They are one fine driver, and have very well controlled bass extension in the above cab.
Best, Don

Hi All, after a conversation with Dave yesterday I started looking at this driver for a pair of speakers I already have with the FE126e. Some people just love that driver....I don't.....just my old ears I guess. So I want to replace the 126 with the CHR70.

Has anyone used them in OB? The Qts and Xmax seem ok for OB.

I have had 126e for years in many
different enclosures,
I would say it seems to be a little smoother upper extension
also with suprising bass,even on OB.
although it is hard to compare OB with other enclosure types
I always go back to OB,it just sounds more natural to me.
and trust me I had 126e in everything from Buschhorn 2
to Frugalhorns to double horn Saburos I must say 126e in Saburos
is amazing.
I am using CSS El 70 with eminence alpha 15a on open baffle
and could not be happier.

just use this for baffle design.

Home of the Edge

I have the baffles/horns already. This is just a retrofit to get a driver in there that does not make my ears cringe.

I have had 126e for years in many
different enclosures,
I would say it seems to be a little smoother upper extension
also with suprising bass,even on OB.
although it is hard to compare OB with other enclosure types
I always go back to OB,it just sounds more natural to me.
and trust me I had 126e in everything from Buschhorn 2
to Frugalhorns to double horn Saburos I must say 126e in Saburos
is amazing.
I am using CSS El 70 with eminence alpha 15a on open baffle
and could not be happier.

I have the Alpha 15a in "H" frame too. I am still so surprised at how good they sound. I am not sure I will go back to sealed or horn loaded bass/subs after having these for a while.

The problem I am finding with the Alpha 15 and the FE126e is that I am adjusting the woof to the peak in the 126 and not the rest of the signal. That is driving me crazy.

I have the baffles/horns already. This is just a retrofit to get a driver in there that does not make my ears cringe.

I have the Alpha 15a in "H" frame too. I am still so surprised at how good they sound. I am not sure I will go back to sealed or horn loaded bass/subs after having these for a while.

The problem I am finding with the Alpha 15 and the FE126e is that I am adjusting the woof to the peak in the 126 and not the rest of the signal. That is driving me crazy.

You may want to PM MJK and see if he can help.
I simmed my baffle on the Edge program and it
shows a pretty smooth responce,
I think what you are hearing is not enough
punchy low mids,you may want to look for
a bigger unit,besides the 126e or Chr 70
I have another OB pair and it uses Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris 15''
a much larger sound than you can ever hope to get with
anything as small as the little 4'' drivers.
a different sound all together,more like a live concert feel,
the Silver Iris marry fantastic with Alphas.
Just my thoughts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.