Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2009, 02:48 PM   #301
diyAudio Member

Just got the CHR-70 into very rough prototype 5-liter BR's. Wow, lots of nice thump in the bass and very pretty shimmery highs. Human voice is very natural. Easy and fun to work with. Is this a trick to get us hooked so we buy the higher models? If so, I think it's working.
Old 17th December 2009, 03:59 PM   #302
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

IMHO, 5 liters is too small for a BR for this, you'll have a big bump at the bottom. Try stuffing the port to make it aperiodic.

dave
Old 17th December 2009, 04:16 PM   #303
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, thank you. Yeah, the drivers arrived yestserday and I just couldn't go to sleep without hearing them. I couldn't wait for a proper box! Will stuff those ports tonight.
Old 17th December 2009, 07:18 PM   #304
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
Just got the CHR-70 into very rough prototype 5-liter BR's. Wow, lots of nice thump in the bass and very pretty shimmery highs. Human voice is very natural. Easy and fun to work with. Is this a trick to get us hooked so we buy the higher models? If so, I think it's working.

either that or multiple projects with the budget series - between those 2 choices, does anybody lose?

I've heard both the CHR70 and Alpair 6, in similar (milli-) sized enclosures, and while the latter is unquestionably more refined in many areas, I think Mark's ability to get even near the same level of performance at the CHR70 (or paper cone EL70), speaks volumes as to his skills. Lots more good things to come, no doubt.
Old 17th December 2009, 07:43 PM   #305
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And CHR responds well to EnABL... I haven't had a chance to do the A6 we have.

dave
Old 20th December 2009, 01:38 AM   #306
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Probably been talked to death elsewhere, but I have to ask, what are the differences between the EnABL'd sound of Mark's speakers and the eN 127's in my living room? Am I going to have to upgrade?

Bud
Old 21st December 2009, 02:09 AM   #307
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
Probably been talked to death elsewhere, but I have to ask, what are the differences between the EnABL'd sound of Mark's speakers and the eN 127's in my living room? Am I going to have to upgrade?

Bud

Dave & I had a short session this afternoon with 3 models of Mark's drivers (CHR & EL70, Alpair 6), as well as the Maple-nabled 127's, and my new Vaughn Audio custom EL34 amp. They certainly didn't all deliver the same levels of detail or soundstage presentation, and I could see how some might prefer the Marks (particularly the EL70) to the Fostex, but I wouldn't consider them an upgrade.

disclosure - all of the drivers except the Alpair 6 were EnAbled, and the paper cone drivers (EL70 and FE127E) were in the prime sized Fonken enclosure, while the metal cones were in the smaller "milli" size boxes (sealed for the CHR and vented for the A-6)
Old 21st December 2009, 02:37 AM   #308
diyAudio Member

Not having any experience with the drivers Mark builds, I can only hope for even more information depth than the Fe 127 eN's provide. Everything that is there is beautifully rendered. However, we are not at the last bit of refinement nor the last level of detail , low level coherence or internal gradient to notes and transients. First rate music though!

Have those pesky OPT's settled down?

Bud
Old 21st December 2009, 06:30 AM   #309
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post

Have those pesky OPT's settled down?

Bud

Well, I ran it for about 72hrs straight with KPLU on the radio before my first serious listening session, by which time it was sounding very sweet.

I've yet been able to find any flaw in the overall sound of the amp, which squeezes more detail, harmonic richness and bass extension from the 127s than I've heard in my system to date.

a longer wait than I would have liked, but color me happy
Old 21st December 2009, 06:37 AM   #310
diyAudio Member

Good!

Hide this!Advertise here!