Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
italynstylion said:
You mentioned the Calhouns but they have 2 drivers in the front baffle even though Scott said this was a bad idea.

The only pairs that have been built have 1 on the side & 1 on the front and an MTM... 2 FR125SR on the front is not recommende. The 2 on the front was for use as an MTM or as a 1.5 way (box done for WR125 originally, so they have a tweeter)

Attached are the options we proposed for driver mounting.

dave

Attachments

• calhoun-variants.gif
    calhoun-variants.gif
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,459
I'm finally sitting in front of, and listening to, my dual chamber reflex CHR-70's...

These speakers are incredible, even in their fresh out of the box state. The midrange is excellent and the treble is very articulate. The midbass is a little "slow" but the depth of output is better than expected. They're already showing the limitation of the source material (MP3s). I can't wait until they break in.

I think the enclosure choice was a good one. I took pictures and will post them when available. I used slots for all 3 ports. I choose an internal depth that was equal to the ports width. The 2 external ports exit on the side, and the crossover port is the entire divider between the two chambers. Overall dimensions are 21.5"x8.5"x5". I used 0.5" materials throughout. The driver frame is quite thick and thus I decided flush mounting would not have left enough material to support the driver. I really should have used 0.75" for the baffle. Next time. More details will accompany the pictures.

Thanks Mark Audio for putting out such a great driver at such a great price.

HareBrained said:
I'm finally sitting in front of, and listening to, my dual chamber reflex CHR-70's...

These speakers are incredible, even in their fresh out of the box state. The midrange is excellent and the treble is very articulate. The midbass is a little "slow" but the depth of output is better than expected. They're already showing the limitation of the source material (MP3s). I can't wait until they break in.

I think the enclosure choice was a good one. I took pictures and will post them when available. I used slots for all 3 ports. I choose an internal depth that was equal to the ports width. The 2 external ports exit on the side, and the crossover port is the entire divider between the two chambers. Overall dimensions are 21.5"x8.5"x5". I used 0.5" materials throughout. The driver frame is quite thick and thus I decided flush mounting would not have left enough material to support the driver. I really should have used 0.75" for the baffle. Next time. More details will accompany the pictures.

Thanks Mark Audio for putting out such a great driver at such a great price.

What are you driving them with?

Awesome! Glad to hear they are working well for you. This makes me excited to hear what they have in store for me. :)

Someone on the first page mentioned a BR design they heard with two drivers and dual ports on the front baffle. I emailed Alpair and they sent me the design PDF file. It's pretty much what I was going to do on my own but uses smaller ports. It also has a suggested crossover to try. I'm not sure how the suggested crossover effects the FR though.

EDIT: The site wont let me attach the PDF because it's too big. I'd share it with you guys but I have no idea how.

Here is the dual driver BR bookshelf design. I found it on their website.

http://markaudio.com/sites/all/files/pdf/plan-chr70-till-2-70.pdf

I might end up doing that. My friend wants a smaller system that wont take up too much space and whatnot. He's not crazy like all of us here. :rolleyes:

I'd like to try the calhoun on my own though after I finish the bookshelf speakers for him. If the driver impresses me enough I'd try them out for myself for sure.

The drivers actually came in the mail yesterday. Here are some pictures of them.

CHR70001.jpg

CHR70002.jpg

CHR70003.jpg

CHR70004.jpg

CHR70005.jpg

planet10 said:

Not necessarily too much power. Certainly too much gain. You need to sort that, down there is were volume controls are at their worst.

dave

I understand what you're saying. The GFA5400 is 2x125W and the preamp is scaled to get every watt at 10/10ths. I've never owned a set of speakers that could handle the full output. I actually have a pair of Pass Labs Zen v1 PCBs that I need to build. Do you think that might be a nice match for the CHR-70s? :)

planet10 said:

That box could use some detail tweaking. And i'd mount the 2nd driver on the top or side.

dave

What detail tweaking would you recommend? As for driver placement, what would be the differences between mounting the second driver on the top vs. on the side? I worried about there not being enough port area for the drivers but I wasn't sure if I was right about that. Also, their suggested filter on those plans, do you guys know what it does?

planet10 said:

That box could use some detail tweaking. And i'd mount the 2nd driver on the top or side.

dave

Dave,

What's your opinion of using a 1.5-way crossover for the dual driver arrangement? My understanding would be that a single coil between the series drivers would provide BSC (assuming the speakers are in needed) and a LP filter below the critical frequencies.

John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
italynstylion said:
What detail tweaking would you recommend? As for driver placement, what would be the differences between mounting the second driver on the top vs. on the side?

I'd reorient the bracing... a shelf brace is the least effective. A brace should divide a panel into new subpanels with a higher aspect ratio.

Driver on the side wouldn't suffer from gravity, but in the end it depends on room placement. With careful consideration this box is small enuff to be converible.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.