Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2009, 12:14 AM   #251
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply Henkjan.

The reason I ask, is that at home using them in a marine ply version of the Mark Audio Pensil 70 TL design I initially thought the speaker was a little 'boomy' in the bass end.
This was using a Tripath based amp. But, after changing the amp to a PP triode connected 6L6 and then an LM3886 based amp it seemed that maybe the smaller T-amp's are unable to damp the largish excursion of the cone in this design as well as the other amps. I haven't played that much with stuffing and positioning yet and noted this effect just changing between amps.

I suppose this is why HareBrained recommends the Dual Chamber Reflex design for the CHR-70.

Excited to hear about the EL-70 as I've heard what I thought was a little metalic 'Sheen' to the top end of some (not all!) voices while listening to the (not yet broken in!) CHR-70's.
At this point I've spent more time listening to these speakers through Tripath based amps and for memory don't think I noticed this 'Sheen' as much with the other two amps. Maybe my love affair with the T-amp is coming to an end?

With the valve amp and the LM3886, even at this early stage, these speakers sound BIG and detailed with more than enough clean bass for my mid-sized room.

Simon
Old 1st August 2009, 12:48 AM   #252
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gapmedia
...........the Mark Audio Pensil 70 TL design...........
?? When I click on the MA site link for the plans it sends me to a Topic “Related Items” page with no plans that I could find....... or is it the tapered MLhorn in the user's guide?

TIA,

GM
Old 1st August 2009, 01:12 AM   #253
diyAudio Member

GM,

The Mark Audio website seems to have 'broken' links at the moment. Have experienced this before - seems to be since they've recently changed the layout.

Here's a link to the plan for the Pensil 70 design:
http://markaudio.com/sites/all/files...r70-pensil.pdf

Simon
Old 3rd August 2009, 03:59 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Where did you find the link? I thought I scoured the site pretty thoroughly.

GM
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:07 AM   #255
diyAudio Member

I had it stored from a previous download. The MA site seems totally broken at the moment. I'll let them know by email.
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:11 AM   #256
diyAudio Member

Ah! Thanks!

GM
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:33 AM   #257
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the problems with our website. Chris in our office is revising our site using new Data-based web software. It's not 100% bug free so still some work to do.

Please feel free to email any ideas, comments and suggestions about our site to Chris. If any information on the site is proving difficult to access, please email: chris@markimage.com

He will be happy to help.

Thanks

Mark.

Old 3rd August 2009, 04:40 AM   #258
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark. Must say Mark Audio's support is great.

Simon
Old 4th August 2009, 11:22 PM   #259
CSS/XBL is offline CSS/XBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Link to another thread

Hi,

Since someone mentioned the EL70 a few posts earlier there is more on this in Vendor's Bazaar.

Introducing The new CSS EL70

Thanks

Bob
Old 11th August 2009, 05:59 PM   #260
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We have just finished 2 variations of a microTower ML-TL for the CHR (and EL70)

Click the image to open in full size.

I have started a separate threas as there are many variations.

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microtower-comp2.jpg (55.1 KB, 4045 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!