Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2009, 03:00 PM   #231
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the baffle loaded too low. You ideally only want to load the driver to its mass corner (2*Fs/effective Qts) otherwise a high Q driver will be under-damped and vice versa. Of course if the driver's low distortion excursion is too high for this point at peak SPL, then either a smaller baffle and/or higher XO point is required.

GM
Old 30th July 2009, 03:20 PM   #232
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks for the responses

Is there any way to mount two drivers on an open baffle to help with
this problem without introducing weirdness?(not a technical term).

I am also wondering if having them on an L shaped open baffle positioned like they are
on the Lotus would work?

Or I guess I could try bipole?
Old 30th July 2009, 03:26 PM   #233
diyAudio Member

As long as one driver is low passed to keep them from audibly comb filtering, i.e. one is only a mid-bass system, then I see no reason why it can't be an 'L' shaped baffle.

GM
Old 30th July 2009, 03:50 PM   #234
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, I guess I thought the comb filtering would be taken care of by having them positioned
at 90 degrees to each other...

I guess it starts to become complicated then as I would have to run them in parallel, lowering the impedance into the "dangerous" range so that I could run a low pass filter on one of the drivers...

I suppose in bipole configuration the comb filtering would be a non issue?
Old 30th July 2009, 03:54 PM   #235
diyAudio Member

Could I ask what type of power/intergrated amps you guys are using with your CHR-70's? (D-Class/T-amps, Valve, transistor, Gainclones etc.)

Thanks.
Simon
Old 30th July 2009, 05:14 PM   #236
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vaughn
OK, I guess I thought the comb filtering would be taken care of by having them positioned
at 90 degrees to each other...

I suppose in bipole configuration the comb filtering would be a non issue?
Hardly! Visualize the drivers emanating a ~infinite number of different size balls from room size large to the size of a BB. Now obviously at the large low frequencies they will sum, so no comb filtering, but as they get small enough to only partially combine at some frequencies and cancel at others (comb filtering) combined with arriving at your ears far enough apart in time to be audible and it's hopefully obvious that mounting one off axis increases the problem, not alleviate it, especially at higher frequencies where they are both beaming as discrete sources.

From this we see that the bipole is potentially the worst comb filtering scenario, making getting the speaker positioning and/or the room acoustically 'right' even more important than in a dipole or monopole if the rear driver isn't rolled off.

Being an 'acoustic solutions for acoustic problems' type, I'd damp both sides of the driver as required to cause the roll off rather than using an inductor.

GM
Old 30th July 2009, 05:27 PM   #237
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Visualize the drivers....

Here is a diagram from Taylor's seminal paper on line arrays that illustrates the point (at one specific frequency):

Click the image to open in full size.

Toole in his new book has something to say about comb filtering, which seems (i'm only half-way thru) to have research showing that the ear-brain expects comb filtering and that the theoretical issues with it are not as serious when it comes to listening. This has me wondering again about things like the Audience arrays using "big" drivers (ie 3").

dave
Old 30th July 2009, 06:25 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

Good one, thanks!

Well, comb filtering is what creates a stereo image, but when combined with a discrete stereo image the effect is magnified enough to be a major problem for folks like me that are fairly sensitive to phasing errors. Factor in the room and horns, focused arrays or large 'FR'/coincident drivers with their high directivity through our most acute hearing BW are pretty much my only high SQ options.

GM
Old 30th July 2009, 07:00 PM   #239
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
folks like me that are fairly sensitive to phasing errors.
According to the research Toole is going over, that is down to having been trained...

dave
Old 30th July 2009, 07:40 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

Well, if that means growing up with mass quantities of live un-amplified music, then I'm 'trained'.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!