Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2009, 08:09 PM   #91
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by italynstylion
The drivers that are located on the sides of the cabinet; should they fire towards the center of the sound stage or away?
Depends on your room and the speaker placement. Lots of opportunity to play.

dave
Old 16th April 2009, 08:38 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Depends on your room and the speaker placement. Lots of opportunity to play.

dave

Ok. I'd never played with a speaker that was setup like that so I didn't know if one way was inherently better than another.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:42 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Have fun is the message.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:45 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Dave, vertical placement of the drivers is a half basket from the middle, as you said. But what is the distance of the side driver's center from the front of the cabinet?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:55 PM   #95
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
But what is the distance of the side driver's center from the front of the cabinet?
I did that by feel. Close by with enuff room to minimize reflections off the baffle (on the inside)

dave
Old 16th April 2009, 08:57 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

3 1/2in from the internal face of the front baffle would be a good compromise.
Old 18th April 2009, 04:07 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

I started clamping a few things today and got carried away. I ended up finishing the assembly for the BVR's. They are still bare wood but I'm going to test them out and listen to them a bit before I finish them with paint.

Honestly, I would have heard them tonight if it weren't for one thing. I thought I had a bunch of really small screws to mount the drivers. Actually, I do have them....but they aren't small enough! I didn't realize just how small the mounting holes are. It's ok though. I'll hear them tomorrow morning after I go to Lowes and get some screws.
Old 18th April 2009, 04:39 AM   #98
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I ended up finishing the assembly for the BVR's. They are still bare wood but I'm going to test them out and listen to them a bit before I finish them with paint.
Shall we start a pool for when they do get finished... i'm in for early 2010.

dave
Old 18th April 2009, 08:15 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Let us hope so at any rate.
Old 18th April 2009, 10:59 AM   #100
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

Friend of mine might be commissioning me to build him some new speakers for his home theater system. I'd like to try something nifty with the CHR70s. He wants something relatively badass to go with their 58" plasma and all that, so I was thinking pairs multple chr70s for left, right, and center, and a single chr70 for each of the rears. Floor standing BR (or maybe something fancier?) for the left and right, sealed center and rears. They already have a decent powered sub with adjustable crossover.

now, with the whole "doubling up full-rangers" being a problem with the phase cancelling thing, I was thinking of other ways to incorporate these drivers into multi-way speakers. First I was thinking maybe two CHR70s as mid-bass drivers, with a single Alpair5 in the middle running the highs.

Getting into the Alpair stuff might be a little overkill in this case, and I'm thinking "if the CHR70 is enough quality but just not enough quantity.. why not just add more of em?" So what about a 3-way CHR70 floor stander, with the top and bottom drivers running mid-bass, and the center one running highs.

Am I totally off my rocker?

Would certainly look slick, anyway :P

I was thinking wire the midbass units together in parallel, and wire them in series with the treble unit, then balance them out in the crossover, working out to a overall 6-8ohm unit, which seems tasty
Attached Images
File Type: png front.png (30.6 KB, 1601 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!