Alpair 10 Measured T/S Parameters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a chance this afternoon to measure the T/S parameters of a new pair of Alpair 10 drivers that arrived on my doorstep this past week. The measured results came out very close to the manufacturer's specifications which is not typical of many of the more expensive full range drivers in my modest collection. The real significance of this result is that people, without the capability to make these types of measurements, can buy this driver and design an enclosure based on the spec sheet and be fairly confident that the result will work as predicted. No surprises for once.

Attachments

• alpair 10.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 305
I really like the lift in the bass response on the alpair 10................

I would think if you could tolerate it, a 24" wide baffle would have a -3db at 190hz (theoretical, not this driver). Maybe with a 12" wide baffle, that would give response flat to 200hz without any baffle step circuit, even 3' from a wall.

norman

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MArtin,

Those are very close to the measurements i made. I came to the same conclusion re factory numbers.

An interesting aside is that given the measured JX92s parameters from the 1st Chinese batch that came as part of the diyA group buy, the Alpair 10 is a better match to the JX92 specs than the JX92 so makes a better drop in replacement for boxes designed for the JX92s.

dave

I've got 2 pair of the entry-level CHR drivers coming to play with -I have a feeling that is going to be a real sleeper unit. I'll get them measured when they arrive, but thus far, Mark's published driver specs appear to be very close to the reality, which as Martin & Dave say, is seldom the case with most manufacturers, so big kudos to him on several levels. I'm increasingly viewing these units as picking up where the Jordan drivers leave off... the work / R&D that goes into them is something else.

I didn't know about this manufacturer. Interesting, sexy looking stuff. The drivers look just like Jordan. Are they affiliated with Jordan?

I'm suspicious of the plots. I know it's handy to smooth them out but c'mon. Tang band and Fostex plots have been proved to be much smoother than they really are and I wonder if it is the case here too.

Rougher than they really are? ;) :angel:

I know Mark Audio aren't affiliated with Jordan, although they did design the JXR-6HD. Whereas the Jordan units have remained relatively unchanged though, the MA drivers are employing the results of their own R&D etc., which is why I mentioned that they appear to be moving things forward.

Re the plots, I haven't asked about that, but they're very unlikely to be more or less smooted than the Jordans & Bandors, which are their nearest equivalents.

InclinedPlane said:
I didn't know about this manufacturer. Interesting, sexy looking stuff. The drivers look just like Jordan. Are they affiliated with Jordan?

I believe the manufacturer worked with Jordan at one time.

The Alpair 10 and the JX92S both have a formed metal cone and dustcap but beyond that they are different construction starting with the frame and going all the way back to the magnet. I have both Alpair 10 and Jordan JX92S drivers and while they may look similar from the front, due to the cone construction, I would not consider the Alpair a copy of the Jordan. They really are different drivers.

The Alpair 10 and the Jordan JX92S are extremely interesting drivers in that they are both true full range drivers that have enough displacement capability to do justice to bass frequencies without instantly exceeding Xmax. Coupling the large Xmax with a moderate Qts value, between 0.3 and 0.6, makes these two drivers very flexible with respect to choice of cabinet type or OB design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.