My Glass TB871 Build / Discussion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2009, 06:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My Glass TB871 Build / Discussion

Hello All,

If any of you have been following all my random threads all over the place I finally found stuff I can work with. My matched drivers have arrived from Dave at Planet 10.. He ships fast and packages it really nicely.
Anyhow, I found a glass bottle at IKEA. It has a internal volume of 1.5L and the glass is slightly thicker than standard wine bottles. I am planning to stuff this with fibrefill and mount the drivers in the opening. It will be completely 100% sealed.

Now my questions are whether the slightly smaller internal volume would affect my sound quality / frequency response (I believe padded can reduce volume by 10%?) also, would epoxy be a good mounting glue or silicone be better?

Thanks for following. I'll post pics.. hopefully once I get everything in place.
Old 28th March 2009, 07:15 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Glad to hear the drivers arrived.

The 1st 871S drivers i ever saw were mointed in 1 litre boxes... you might not get the most bass possible out of them, but they'll be fine, Stuffing can get you 10-30%, but too much will tend to degrade the sonics,

I wouldn't use anything to attach them that you can't somehow get them out. If you aren't going to affix a small baffle to screw the drivers in with, then silicon seal would be my 1st choice.

dave
Old 28th March 2009, 05:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

alright, I think I'll go with the 1.5, lightly stuffed. Going to find a plastic / hard rubber baffle to fix it with.
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Alright, my glass tubes/bottles are ready at 1.8L, they're a little over the 1.66 vas of the drivers. I think I'll need a HPF at approx 80hz. what value of capacitor will I need?

thanks
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The Fs is 110 Hz no? That means your impedance is around 12-14 ohms at 80 Hz so about a 200 mfd cap for a first order. Are you sure you want it that low? Are you using the notch filter shown?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 1a.jpg (68.1 KB, 340 views)
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

wow. you're wayy over my head. no, no notch filter at this time, this is my really simple budget speaker =) maybe i'll add it in later if I feel I need it. I guess I could go a little higher at 95 or so, I just don't want to lose any of it.
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:44 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nukaidee
Alright, my glass tubes/bottles are ready at 1.8L, they're a little over the 1.66 vas of the drivers. I think I'll need a HPF at approx 80hz. what value of capacitor will I need?
Trying to do a passive at that frequency is very difficult as that is right near system resonance. Better to put a cap in front of the amplifier.

dave
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:46 PM   #8
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Trying to do a passive at that frequency is very difficult as that is right near system resonance. Better to put a cap in front of the amplifier.

dave

Seconded. Harrison labs sells some products for this if you want adjustable/removable.
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

you mean put a cap in line with the input signal before the amp?
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:50 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nukaidee
you mean put a cap in line with the input signal before the amp?
Yes. I'd try it without 1st.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!