126e or 127e for better bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
paulfk is offline paulfk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 126e or 127e for better bass

I recently modified some old wharfedale pacifics into back loaded horns with FE126E drivers. They are still needing some more hours on them but in a reasonably sized room they produce half decent bass. Now I just bought some FE127E drivers on ebay secondhand but wonder if they are in need of some hours on them because the bass is less than the 126E drivers. Which drivers would you expect to produce better bass baring in mind the xmax on the the 126 is 0.35 and 0.6 ish on the 127.
Old 25th March 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

With a big horn (ie Saburo) it is possible to extract more bass out of FE126, but in any "more normal" enclosure FE127 will have more bass.

I'm listening to mFonken right now, and the amount of bass -- given the enclosure size -- is quite surprising.

dave
Old 26th March 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
paulfk is offline paulfk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

thanks Dave, which design do you favour, the vertical slot or horizontal slot. I may well try a pair of the mfonkens at some point although I'm still enjoying my CSS FR125 bass reflex cabs with front slotted port at the moment.
Old 26th March 2009, 06:07 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfk
thanks Dave, which design do you favour, the vertical slot or horizontal slot. I may well try a pair of the mfonkens at some point although I'm still enjoying my CSS FR125 bass reflex cabs with front slotted port at the moment.
The vertical slots (as on FonkenPrime), have the advatage of stiffer walls, and providing more material to cut away for a bigger champher, the single front horizontal port gives a smaller box and is easier to build. The slightly less radical slot ratio also gives a bit fatter bottom which helps give the illusion that the bass goes lower than it really does (LS3/6A trick). Plans (at least a 1st draft) for a side slotted mFonken exist, but size & wasw of build trumped for the release version.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!