Going to build a BIB - please help with driver selection - Fostex FE138ES-R ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 04:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default Going to build a BIB - please help with driver selection - Fostex FE138ES-R ?

Madisound has the Fostex FE138ES-R on sale right now for $289.

Would this be a suitable choice for a BIB ? It is right at the upper limit of my budget for a driver.

As far as the actual build goes, my plywod supplier has a 7-ply cherry plywood. The veneer cores are american birch. Some voids but very few. Is this no good? Should I got with 11 ply baltic birch and put a veneer on it?

How about if I build it with 6/4 solid mahagony with dovetail joints? Would it have weird resonances if made of solid wood?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
It will work fine. Pretty much any driver can be used -it's just a question of cabinet size.

Void free. Voids are bad. That's one of the reasons BB is prefered. Some solid woods are fine, if the material has been seasoned etc correctly, you know what you're doing, and it's not going to be subjected to major temperature / humidity variations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 04:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Godzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
What Scott said above.

The 138es is a special and rare driver. It will make great sounding speakers! Put them into BIBs, put them into corners and enjoy.

They can also be used successfully in other cabinets. I believe they are a 'sound' investment.

Peace,
Godzilla
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:11 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Default Re: Going to build a BIB - please help with driver selection - Fostex FE138ES-R ?

Quote:
Originally posted by okayfine


As far as the actual build goes, my plywod supplier has a 7-ply cherry plywood. The veneer cores are american birch. Some voids but very few. Is this no good? Should I got with 11 ply baltic birch and put a veneer on it?

11 ply would make that 5/8" (15mm), which might be a bit thin for a BIB - 3/4" (18mm) would be a better bet, but as BB is sold in many jurisdictions in 5x5ft sheets (1524mm), you might need to get creative with your joinery (biscuits, lap joints, etc).

If you plan on a nice finish veneer, you could certain hide it with a wood on wood 2 ply veneer.

When it comes to loudspeaker cabinets, IMHO it's the high ply count that give BB or similar plywoods ( Appleply, etc) their major advantage over MDF/chipboard or even low ply count plywoods, and a driver of this caliber certainly deserves the extra effort.

Quote:


How about if I build it with 6/4 solid mahagony with dovetail joints? Would it have weird resonances if made of solid wood?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
As Scott said, providing you have a good handle on working with solid woods, there's no overwhelming reason why not - although 6/4 could be a bit overkill in terms of thickness.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 06:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: los alamos
Do you just not like the designs supplied w/ the 138 driver?
Or already tried them?

(I've just never heard a bib impressed, pretty disappointing compared to the swans & nessies i've heard, but ymmv...)

i ask because i've tried a few cabs for the 138, plan to try the resonate pipe next (in spruce), just haven't heard but one other person who built it (a very experienced builder, who did like it).

or maybe try one of these:
http://www.geocities.com/sg_suzuki/MCAP-CR.html
http://www.geocities.com/sg_suzuki/F...x_Project.html

r
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 07:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default Re: Re: Going to build a BIB - please help with driver selection - Fostex FE138ES-R ?

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb


11 ply would make that 5/8" (15mm), which might be a bit thin for a BIB - 3/4" (18mm) would be a better bet, but as BB is sold in many jurisdictions in 5x5ft sheets (1524mm), you might need to get creative with your joinery (biscuits, lap joints, etc).

If you plan on a nice finish veneer, you could certain hide it with a wood on wood 2 ply veneer.

When it comes to loudspeaker cabinets, IMHO it's the high ply count that give BB or similar plywoods ( Appleply, etc) their major advantage over MDF/chipboard or even low ply count plywoods, and a driver of this caliber certainly deserves the extra effort.



As Scott said, providing you have a good handle on working with solid woods, there's no overwhelming reason why not - although 6/4 could be a bit overkill in terms of thickness.
Correction - the BB i have must be 13 ply then. It is 18 or 19mm. It is 5x5 sheets, but I do have access to 4x8 sheets.

My main concern using solid wood is the seasonal expansion/contractions. For small bookshelf or even regular floor standing applications, the wood movement is not terrible, but for a long BIB, it might lead to splitting.

Has anyone built or listened to a BIB using Jordan JX92S drivers? (I did do a search).

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by serenechaos
(I've just never heard a bib impressed, pretty disappointing compared to the swans & nessies i've heard, but ymmv...)

i ask because i've tried a few cabs for the 138, plan to try the resonate pipe next (in spruce), just haven't heard but one other person who built it (a very experienced builder, who did like it).

or maybe try one of these:
http://www.geocities.com/sg_suzuki/MCAP-CR.html
http://www.geocities.com/sg_suzuki/F...x_Project.html

r
hi robert, been wondering what you've been up to. so a Multiple-Chamber Aligned in Parallel Cavity Resonator (MCAP-CR), don't know where you found it but looks interesting. keep us posted on the build (you may as well get on with it, (lol)). it's different and jack k. already did the nessie and didn't seem as enamored with them as he was with the exotic's unfiltered in a simple sealed box. he said something wrt the exotic/sealed enclosure having more bass output than a 138es-r/nessie. any idea how the mcap-cr concept is being accepted by other builders and by those who've been able to hear them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 01:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: los alamos
hi mp9,
i saw the MCAP-CR in the feastrex thread; thought it looked interesting.
i talked to Kloss about different cabs for the 138; he said he liked the nessies. he also used a lcy for the top.
wasn't the exotic in a three-way?
(doesn't any "full-range" seem to end up being a three-way if you actually want to go the full range).

what i've been up to...
haven't done anything else w/ the 138s, they're still in the bvrs, collecting dust, waiting for the spruce to dry some more, & me to get enough time to mess w/ them.
did finish a pair of tapped horns, but still need to finish the middle three of the five-way front-loaded horns i'm building.
& finish a 76 > 304TL transmitter tube amp.
& build some lowther field-coil conversions.
then build field-coil compression drivers for the flhs...
then build a smaller four-way flh second system.
then the wood should be dry enough to build a nessie.
yeah, enough to stay busy...
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 05:09 AM   #9
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
wow that's very impressive.

jack had the exotics in a "bookshelf" stand mounted box when i asked how the two compared, although i think i remember him planning to do a multi-way design.

lack of and waiting for bass to develop over time as the drivers break in wrt a 138es-r/BLH build was one thing i think i was able to make out from japanese web site google translation, haven't found a follow-up.

*138 BLH design for anyone interested: http://makizouphoto.hp.infoseek.co.jp/furukawa7.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 08:58 AM   #10
MDOFCR is offline MDOFCR  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by mp9

hi robert, been wondering what you've been up to. so a Multiple-Chamber Aligned in Parallel Cavity Resonator (MCAP-CR), don't know where you found it but looks interesting. keep us posted on the build (you may as well get on with it, (lol)). it's different and jack k. already did the nessie and didn't seem as enamored with them as he was with the exotic's unfiltered in a simple sealed box. he said something wrt the exotic/sealed enclosure having more bass output than a 138es-r/nessie. any idea how the mcap-cr concept is being accepted by other builders and by those who've been able to hear them?

Hi,

You will find detailed documents with equations of MCAP-CR in my pages. It is your decision if you believe my model of physics that represents multiple degree of freedom cavity resonators.

I will talk with Feastrex if there is any possibility for non Japanese residents to hear MCAP-CR. Hearing is believing a lot more than equations...

FE138ES-R will be a good example for MCAP-CR. I guess my TR130c will fit FE138ES-R. You need two of 3' x 6' x 18mm panels for TR130c cabinet.

Please email me, if you want to more about MCAP-CR.

Regards,

Shigeruhttp://www.geocities.com/sg_suzuki/index.html
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fostex FE138ES-R Limited Edition 5" Full Range for Sale xcortes Swap Meet 3 21st November 2008 03:09 PM
Driver selection germpod Subwoofers 25 30th June 2007 02:34 AM
SS 3 Way: Driver selection harrisni Multi-Way 0 3rd February 2007 10:34 PM
3-way driver selection boostin1989 Multi-Way 2 6th June 2006 06:58 PM
Driver Selection jainbaby Multi-Way 4 24th August 2003 07:54 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:45 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2