Diminutive full-range on a beer budget needed. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2009, 10:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

How about these ?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...18&ctab=1#Tabs

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-818.pdf

Look like a righteous choice to me. Fairly efficient, pretty wideband , 8 ohms, and only $18 ea.

Those 5 1/4" Peerless ? I know they're only $2.50 ea. , but sometimes you get what you pay for.

. . . AND , the 1.1cu.ft. Vas will require a MUCH larger cabinet.

..........................Blake
Old 21st March 2009, 11:35 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nihilist
How about these ?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...18&ctab=1#Tabs

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-818.pdf

Look like a righteous choice to me. Fairly efficient, pretty wideband , 8 ohms, and only $18 ea.

Those 5 1/4" Peerless ? I know they're only $2.50 ea. , but sometimes you get what you pay for.

. . . AND , the 1.1cu.ft. Vas will require a MUCH larger cabinet.

..........................Blake

Aye. I think the $18 tang bands are the ticket. I shall put them in a transmission line.

Q: If I mass load the cab before the turn in the pipe.... what happens? I read about it but it confused me more. I know the batting should strengthen bass response and increase the theoretical size of the chamberrrrr?
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:47 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default the brick

I forgot about this one til now.....

Speaker projects with Tangband W3-817S: Needle and Brick

Always a design I thought would work. A complete cut list included in the photo spread.

Your chosen Tangband should work in it (?)
Old 22nd March 2009, 07:34 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

What if you could get the CHR70s cheaper: llike here?

On the Mark Audio site, there are plans for different enclosures, including a TL. In comparing that design to the Martin King table calculations, the assumption is a speed of sound of ~220m/s. This is 65% of free air, which assumes more stuffing than shown but possible. (The length is dead on.) Assuming a "normal" stuffing (~300m/s), the area of the line should be 148cm2 (vs. 108). It's not that the original is going to sound bad, it's just that the large area should sound more TL-ish.
Old 22nd March 2009, 07:54 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HareBrained
On the Mark Audio site, there are plans for different enclosures, including a TL. In comparing that design to the Martin King table calculations, the assumption is a speed of sound of ~220m/s. This is 65% of free air, which assumes more stuffing than shown but possible. (The length is dead on.) Assuming a "normal" stuffing (~300m/s), the area of the line should be 148cm2 (vs. 108). It's not that the original is going to sound bad, it's just that the large area should sound more TL-ish.
Hold-on... damping does not significantly slow down the speed of sound. Further the TL in the MArk Audio plans is an ML-TL so isn't in Martin's tables. ML-TLs are shorter for the same tuning. You are assumming that the line is tuned to Fs -- a good trick to get more bass, particularily with a small driver like the CHR, is to tune the box higher than Fs. So the shorter line is better explained by it being an ML-TL tuned above Fs. Given that there is essentially no damping in the box already, this makes a lot more sense.

dave
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:29 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Right. http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Damping_Coefficient.pdf
Note that even with quite high stuffing densities of 0.9lbs ft^3 of dacron (which is higher than required for many ~aperiodic lines) the attenuation is nothing like approaching the kind of massive reduction in the s-o-s suggested above. Only about 18% of the way in fact.

As Dave points out, an MLTL is not a TL in the strict sense of the word. It's a highly resonant line, with some resistive loading to lower Fp; the little damping is present merely to attenuate the higher harmonic resonances while leaving F0 intact.
Old 22nd March 2009, 02:42 PM   #17
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raypalmer

Well then #1 is the front-runner...
if you want me to run a driver that is available in your part of the world (since afaik the omnes is only on sale in europe) through the sim, just post the datasheet, I have the file somewhere on my harddrive.

with regards to the placement close to a wall, anything more than an inch is OK, the port is rather small...
Old 22nd March 2009, 05:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

HareBrained:

Unfortunately exchange rate coupled with brokerage fees would make them almost as pricey as the solen site.

Henkjan:

Thanks so much! Your datasheet only works on MS Excel I think which left me a little heartbroken the other day... But if you could calculate the TL for this driver that would be awesome!
Old 22nd March 2009, 05:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Henkjan
if you want me to run a driver that is available in your part of the world (since afaik the omnes is only on sale in europe) through the sim, just post the datasheet, I have the file somewhere on my harddrive.
What T/S parameters would you try to find a match to, in another driver, for the box to look similar?

In other words, what are the most significant T/S parameters for the size/shape of your simmed box?
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:28 PM   #20
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: the brick

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
I forgot about this one til now.....

Speaker projects with Tangband W3-817S: Needle and Brick

Always a design I thought would work. A complete cut list included in the photo spread.

Your chosen Tangband should work in it (?)

Maybe the 3" TB Bamboo driver would work? The 871S is no longer available.

Hide this!Advertise here!