Diminutive full-range on a beer budget needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: the brick

planet10 said:

I have a stash that is larger than i'll be able to use.

dave

The only thing off with the 3" Bamboo is the vas. It's .01 liters too much so I would imagine that the dimensions of the cabinet would have to be changed. I love that little cabinet. Is there anyone that would be kind enough to model one with the W3-1364SA as the driver?

planet10 said:

Hold-on... damping does not significantly slow down the speed of sound. Further the TL in the MArk Audio plans is an ML-TL so isn't in Martin's tables. ML-TLs are shorter for the same tuning. You are assumming that the line is tuned to Fs -- a good trick to get more bass, particularily with a small driver like the CHR, is to tune the box higher than Fs. So the shorter line is better explained by it being an ML-TL tuned above Fs. Given that there is essentially no damping in the box already, this makes a lot more sense.

dave

Scottmoose said:
Right. http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Damping_Coefficient.pdf
Note that even with quite high stuffing densities of 0.9lbs ft^3 of dacron (which is higher than required for many ~aperiodic lines) the attenuation is nothing like approaching the kind of massive reduction in the s-o-s suggested above. Only about 18% of the way in fact.

As Dave points out, an MLTL is not a TL in the strict sense of the word. It's a highly resonant line, with some resistive loading to lower Fp; the little damping is present merely to attenuate the higher harmonic resonances while leaving F0 intact.

It was my understanding that a ML-TL (mass loaded transmission line) used a TL form but a much smaller "open area" or an actual port, which is not the case with the Pensil which is a line with an equal open end. Everything about the Pensil points to the QWTL. I'm obviously missing something. Perhaps you could provide a link that would identify the distinction differently so I could understand why the Pensil is not applicable to MJK's tables.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
HareBrained said:
It was my understanding that a ML-TL (mass loaded transmission line) used a TL form but a much smaller "open area" or an actual port, which is not the case with the Pensil which is a line with an equal open end. Everything about the Pensil points to the QWTL.

An ML-TL is a TL with a restricted terminus. The Pensil line is 90 x 130, the terminus is 78 x 130. That is a restriction. Not as dramatic as on some, but it still counts.

dave

loninappleton said:

I thought of these too since they are getting some play on the forum.

Well, I've searched "LKO-120WFF" and "299-280" and "Peerless India" but it looks like I'm going to have to ask Lon (or anyone else) to point me in the direction of other discussions of these drivers.

:confused: Looking forward to improved search after the forum upgrade... :up:

AdamThorne said:

Well, I've searched "LKO-120WFF" and "299-280" and "Peerless India" but it looks like I'm going to have to ask Lon (or anyone else) to point me in the direction of other discussions of these drivers.

:confused: Looking forward to improved search after the forum upgrade... :up:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-280

Parts Express is in Ohio... no need to go to India as far as I know.

PE also has a forum for their stuff. If a more detailed data sheet is needed than the specs in the description, some leads may be gotten there. In their a-b-c measurement system, B is usually the size of the cutout needed.

More than that I don't know myself.

If the link doesn't work right, go to www.partsexpress.com
and put the number 299-280 in their search box.

Report back with anything else you need.

:)

OK, I've just taken a quick look for the sake of interest.

The Pensil is certainly a resonant QW line, & not an especially distinguished one at that; looks like only the most rudimentary QW math has gone into it, and it may be regarded in the same vein as the rather similar Zigmahornet. I have dark suspicions about harmonic nulls. F3 will probably be acceptably suppressed by the driver location, but higher modes will likely be more problematic.

FWIW, length / Fp has clearly been set to Fs; for the rest, it looks like raw guesswork, although, Vp appears is roughly in the region of a 4th order (reflex) vented alignment; whether that is accident or design, I wouldn't like to say.

Edit: I've just stuffed it through MathCAD for the sake of providing a few illustrative graphs.

Top plot: driver & vent output of the unstuffed pipe; you can clearly see the confirmation that the first mode is set to the 70Hz pipe tuning. Middle plot: FR of the cabinet when damped ~equivalent to plans. As suspected, note the harmonic null. Lower plot: FR of the cabinet with the same damping, but with the slight mass loading removed. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference, other than fractionally reducing the depth of the null at F5. Still, mass loading as suggested is purely a matter of degree. If there is a restriction, however slight, it's still technically mass loaded. Can't beat the laws of physics.

Attachments

• pensil.gif
    pensil.gif
    17 KB · Views: 240
Thanks muchly henkjan. Results look promising:up:

FWIW I looked at the pensil before I built BJohannssen's TABAQ's, there was some conjecture about holes in the response and it being generally a little under-thought, leading me to settle on the TABAQ. Which has worked quite well for me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.