New in forum from where to start? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2009, 02:46 PM   #1
haoma is offline haoma  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default New in forum from where to start?

Hi ,
I would like to build studio speakers that have a flat response.I know how that sounds but i dont know technicaly what we mean,is it coming out from equalising or it has specific box structure?

Any threads from the past that may help me to start/?
Old 19th March 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Welcome to Full range.

What will be the function of your studio? Home recording, home listening or a pro setup?

Max flat responses are usually shown in the graphs posted for
individual speakers.
Old 20th March 2009, 10:48 AM   #3
haoma is offline haoma  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi,
thank you for the quick response.It will be for music listening in a pro level.My teacher uses in his studio the (famous) yamaha ns10 and i have something similar in mind for post production mastering etc.If there is a ready project of the past that i can follow to get similar sound plesae let me know,beacouse chinese and graphs look the same to me.thanks
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

welcome to the forums =)

since you said the "famous" ns10's.. I'm pretty sure you know why they are "famous". Anything mixed on them sounds pretty good on anything else. aside from that, they really don't sound good, they've got a peak around 1500 etc.

If you can read charts like chinese then you'll get alot of information out of them, 1 chinese word is worth a paragraph in english.. =)

Anyways, from your first thread, you want flat response speakers, it means that the frequency range are produced at the same efficiency (dunno if thats the right word). Essentially, if you play pink noise or white noise, what comes out of it is the same, it is not colored at all, that is flat response. The NS10 is no where near flat response in the high end, there is not much low end, however the crossovers provide a smooth transition, most designs have a 2-3db drop in the crossover, which in simple english means the frequency (note) that the other speak takes over is usually a little quieter.

Finally, I don't believe there are many "flat response" speakers out there, you can always flatten out the response later with equalizers. However, I do believe that full range drivers are a good starting point, without the crossover, you "should" have a smoother band of frequencies.

This is personal - I would go with a 3 in driver. It will provide you with the highend you need for mixing without needed a tweeter. You can always add in low end reinforcement later if needed.
This one looked promising imo.
Speaker projects with Tangband W3-817S: Needle and Brick

I hope this gives you a starting point.

Hide this!Advertise here!