Vampyr vs Metronome vs Zigmahornets, DCA 4 vs EnABled vs Fostex help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am new to this full-range driver thing, but as I was reading the 6moons review of the Zigmahornets my wife walked by and said she thought they were pretty. I saw an opening there, so as long as I keep the cost down, I have the OK to build a nice sounding system. Thought I would go with the SI T-amp, I have a room 10' x 19', listen mostly to vocals and classical (strings), would prefer to keep the speakers within 6" of the wall and position them on the long wall with the sofa opposite, so I would be sitting 7-8' away. No carpet in the room, vinyl floor and painted plaster walls. Prefer good imaging, nice highs, no thunderous bass needed.
Liked the Zigs, but there always seems to be a 'but' in what people say about them, then there are the Metronomes, (but the wife says they're OK looking), and the Vampyrs seem to be a design with nothing said about them since the design last year. THEN there are the drivers-Fostex, EnABled, and now the DCA 4 seems to be available again.
The more I read, the less I know....
Suggestions appreciated, especially any feedback on those who can compare the above, or have heard the Vampyrs.

If I read you correctly, the Metronomes still had enough WAF ?

If so, and as there appears to be no anecdotal reports on the Vampyrs yet, the Metronomes would be my hands down recommendation.

As for drivers, as my signature line will portray, I might not be objective on the matter, but I think it wouldn't take long to find some very positive user feedback on the Fostex FE127EN (i.e. the Planet10 modified units)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi,

No one has built Vampr yet (at least that is talking) so that is why no feedback.

Metronome -- at least for FE127 & FE108 has been built and builders like it.

Zigmahornet has been built often, many people are dissapointed and from the descriptions of its performance, you can probably get more out of a set of Solo 103.

The larger driver (FE127e vrs FE103e*) offers a lot more performance for not an aweful lot more money. The box will be bigger thou.

Vampyr was designed using modern sim tools and design methodology that has yielded successful boxes in (almost) every case. Its form factor was purposely targeted at the very nice aesthetic of the Zigmahornet. Best we can figure, the Zigmahornet is more designed by guess.

dave

*(just finished the 1st 4 FE103eN and hope to install them in a client's BD-Pipes today)

Thanks for the responses, they are helpful. I am tempted to try the Vampyr's just to see what they are like, but then I have no reference speaker to let people know how they sound. I may have the chance to buy some slightly used 127e's, so the metronome may be the way to go.

Can anyone give me a link to the plans/drawings or some photos of the vampyr, or is it vampyre? I've done several google searches and can't find anything.

The way you are talking about building it there must be some solid information out there somewhere??

I built Zigmahornets with Fostex fe127's, I altered the dimensions according to some vague hints I found at the time, though I can't find them now! They have a bigger cross section than the originals and portion of the bottom is sealed off and filled with sand. On the whole I think they sound far more impressive than I was expecting, though I do find them a little shouty sometimes.

I'm hoping to build some new cabinets that are more optimised for the drivers but like many I like the aesthetics of the Ziggies, hence my curiosity about the vampyr(e).

Here's hoping

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Both Vampyr & Venom have been withdraw. Results for Vampyr-V showed a big improvement. Venom-V is the box in the same theme for the FE127.

The V-Series are, as far as i have seen, A variation on the MBVRs & Voigts that is unique.

At this point you need to contact Scott (or me) about the V-Series. There is a modest fee for these plans.

vampyr-V-c-3d.gif
|
Venom-V-c-3d.gif

dave

We have built Vampr-V. We prefer FF105wk in it. It is quite good. Wxtracts a surprising amount of bass. Venom-V has also been built, no feedback on it yet.
dave

Interesting...I built a pair of Vampr-V's a while back, running phase plugged Fe103's. They've not even been connected for the last couple of years since building some uFonkens. That probably sums up how things have moved on since the early days of Vampr's (and how good uFonkens are).

I remember them being fast and detailed, but the bass never sounded integrated/balanced in the way I would have liked at low volume. Driven hard it all came together, but it looked like the cone needed to be visibly moving to get the best from it as a design. The larger x-max of the FF105 would probably be much happier with being made to work like that than the 103's. Might have to aquire some FF105's and drag the V's out of retirement...

Simon C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.