Want to build Mikasa/Saburo but.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I think he said $103.33 per sheet, so wisely or foolishly, I ordered 3, giving me lots of room for screw ups, and maybe a second pair to flog off on someone to help offset the cost... (Oh, I can just see how well that's gonna work out!).

Europly is what he said they call it in vancouver, but it's listed as Baltic Birch on the website.

If I'd been courageous, or knowledgeable, I'd use something else, or get some 5 x 5 9mm thick BB, and fabricate the necessary lengths for side and back panels. At this point in my woodworking/speaker building career, I thought it was probably better to just take the $$ hit, and go with the specifications as closely as I can.

Well, I think he said $103.33 per sheet, so wisely or foolishly, I ordered 3, giving me lots of room for screw ups, and maybe a second pair to flog off on someone to help offset the cost... (Oh, I can just see how well that's gonna work out!).

Europly is what he said they call it in vancouver, but it's listed as Baltic Birch on the website.

yes, the generic and registered trademarked names (i.e. Appleply) can get a bit confusing - even the sales staff isn't always sure

If I'd been courageous, or knowledgeable, I'd use something else, or get some 5 x 5 9mm thick BB, and fabricate the necessary lengths for side and back panels. At this point in my woodworking/speaker building career, I thought it was probably better to just take the $$ hit, and go with the specifications as closely as I can.
I've avoided projects taller than 1524mm for the exact same reason - the last time I tried a 4x8 sheet of "affordable" high-ply count material, it turned out to be an inferior Chinese import - delaminations, voids and variations of thickness well over 1mm across the width a sheet.

But the particular product you've quoted is a domestic (North American) mill, so no worries there.

The sole suppliers of BB here, is Windsor Plywood, @ $75 (can) per 5 x 5 sheet.
Don

so there's a suggestion of retailer's margin

(OK to be honest, some of our millwork jobs have similar gross margins, but by the time you allocate fixed and variable overheads as well as direct COGs, well, you're on the short side of 20%)

Is it a pile of 12 or 15 we have left? 2 12 would be >20% fatter than spec

both
I was just thinking of our goal to standardize on 15mm as much as possible.

dave

and I'm thinking of moving them around - even at a fraction of the weight of MDF, at 6 ft tall and 18" deep, these will be awkward enough

Dave: Shoot me an e-mail when they've got their full dose of measles.
The BB will be on my list.
(My wife says 5 x 5 won't fit in her Golf!)
Don

I know a guy who nose a guy with a couple of table saws - we could rough cut the sheets to more convenient sizes.

edit:

synchronicity!

DAVE:

btw, I note that the Saburo et al Moose BVR drawings were dimensioned before we normalized to 15mm, so without recalculating, the internals would still need to be 18mm, with overlapped double layers of 12mm for side and [/quote] back panels

considering the labor (even at 25c/hr :cool:), the europly is starting to sound more attractive by the minute

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
btw, I note that the Saburo et al Moose BVR drawings were dimensioned before we normalized to 15mm, so without recalculating, the internals would still need to be 18mm, with overlapped double layers of 12mm for side and back panels

I could convert those from 19.1 mm internals to 15mm, it would ba a good exercise, but we may well want to stick with 18mm, that is a pretty wide unbraced span (they would still need a bit of recalc).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.