Anyone tried the Tang Band W4-1320"SJ" drivers yet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone tried the Tang Band W4-1320"SJ" drivers yet?

Good looking drivers. These seem to be a new version of the speaker.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-847

Judging from the QTS these should work well in a MLTL. What kind of efficiency could I expect from them in a optimized MLTL?
Old 15th March 2009, 10:44 PM   #2
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

The reason I ask about these is I would like to use these drivers for some speakers for a little mini system I plan on building for my worse half. I would like to use them crossed over @15K - 18K with a 1st order along with some Morel MDT - 22s. The question is how big do I want the cabinets which is why I asking the experts here. My forte is electronics, not speaker building. So I also plan on buying some premade boxes for these. So bump.
Old 13th October 2009, 05:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Who was it that built a small vented box for some of these within the last year. I thought I had written down the particulars of this enclosure or earmarked it somewhere but I can't find it. Was it Godzilla? Maybe I should PM him. Anyone remember the link? I think the vent was on the back of the box.
Old 13th October 2009, 04:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaaudio.com/tb-1320-bamboo.htm

>>> I plan on building for my worse half. I would like to use them crossed over @15K - 18K with a 1st order along with some Morel MDT - 22s.

LOL... would that be your wife?

I think the Morel tweeter would be a great match for this driver!

Godzilla

Last edited by Godzilla; 13th October 2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: bad url
Old 13th October 2009, 05:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Godzirra, thats the link I was looking for. I may try a narrower baffle sealed .22cf first then vented and then a tweeter to see how I like it in progression. Sometimes tweeter fizz aggrevates me and the voices come back.
How did you arrive at the box dimensions, did the size of the dimensional lumber play into your decisions?
Would a 10:1 tapered TL like in Tysen work or help these drivers?
Old 13th October 2009, 05:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

does Morel MDT - 22 have vented chamber? why there is an impedance bump near 2K?
Old 13th October 2009, 06:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

>>> How did you arrive at the box dimensions, did the size of the dimensional lumber play into your decisions?

Yes, like nearly every build i do! I rely on the accuracy of standard sized lumber to minimize cuts and maximize quality. I don't own a saw other than a hand saw for cutting holes. I use WinISD to figure port size and usually with a bit of bass boost. I've produced a few clunkers this way especially when using low Qts drivers... the bamboo TB has a friendly Qts for me. I'm certain more can be wrung from this driver but the small ported design works especially well for me in my small den. I have boards cut and lined up against the wall in my basement for nearly two years to build a BIB for this driver. Maybe one day i will build it.

Would you use a side firing woofer in a Tyson style box?

>>> Thanks Godzirra...

LOL!

My pleasure,
Godzilla
Old 13th October 2009, 06:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm not planning on duplicating the Tysen design or a FAST with these rather some small sattelites to maybe use with a sub on my desk where I use my computer and listen to music while I do. Alone first and then figure out some bass support as needed. It will surely be a work in progress and change as I go.
Old 14th October 2009, 06:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Tysen is on my extended short list of items to build but I'll do it to whatever specs its been evolved to when the time comes and maybe even using genuine Planet10 EnAbled drivers.
Is the W4-1320 close enough in the TS parameters that matter to a more popular driver we have enclosure designs for? I'm getting ready to build the vented boxes Godzilla designed but might go with a TL if it would be better. The FF85 sure seems to perform much better in the 10:1 Dave designed.
Old 16th October 2009, 05:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I´ve built a pair of BiB´s on these speakers following the BiB calculator on http://www.zillaaudio.com/bib-calculator.htm. They are beautiful in the midrange for vocals. Ok bass for their size but I am troubled by to much high frequency. Have tried various damping of the cabinets using acoustic stuffing. The cabinets are built of 3/4 inch (18mm) meranti plywood.
Any suggestions?

Heelp!

Last edited by trondareo; 16th October 2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Hide this!Advertise here!