Is this a really dumb idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
that is done quite often. Called an (active) FAST.

I'm listening to a set like this right now (FF85eN + SDX7eN = called Tysen)

dave

Dave,

I had to leave last summer before you got the Tysen hooked up, how did it sound?
The crossover you soldered up, did you end up modifying it or was it right on?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
kimobuddy said:
a biamped wide bander mated with a woofer/sub and an active crossover?

Instead I would do 2way active, crossed above baffelsteploss(300-500hz)
Besides, crossing the wideband driver higher you will achieve much better power handling

I plan to use Tangband 6.5" and 4" ti, both underhung and passive xo, may use a small ribbin on top

It will be an omni design, and I will use a plastic sewer drain tube

Attachments

• omni.jpg
    omni.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 337
I think this is a great idea and is how I am gonna run my Aiko's. Fullrange is really at a disadvantage in the lower frequencies so the addition of a sub/mid-bass woofer really helps. Bi-amping allows for the most desirable type of crossover so coloration is minimal.

901Fixer said:
I think this is a great idea and is how I am gonna run my Aiko's. Fullrange is really at a disadvantage in the lower frequencies so the addition of a sub/mid-bass woofer really helps. Bi-amping allows for the most desirable type of crossover so coloration is minimal.

I've heard the Aikos at Dave's and thought, along with Kevin Haskins, that it was an absolutely splendid, top-notch speaker for vocals and acoustic instruments. OTOH, there certainly was a lack of the lower registers that really need augmentation. I agree with you that a subwoofer/lower mid woofer that is capable of extending into the lower mids would certainly help flesh out, what is otherwise a phenomenal presentation.

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
Very nicely done and I like this idea. I will have to explore this possibility myself.

It does a couple things...

1/ moves the XO at or below the critical telephone band so that the parts of the spectrum we are most sensitive to is covered with a single driver, (i think of the FF85KeN as a really good 1" tweeter that can go down to 150 hz of so -- you can push it below 100 Hz but with quite limited level capability)
2/ XO is low enuff that with the long wavelengths the drivers are effectively conincident (this wasn't the case when we started with the woofer at the floor)
3/ use of a midbass gives lots of flexibility with XO orders (Tysen uses a PLLXO, 1st order on the woofer, 2nd order on the mid-rweeter.
4/ i haven't measured it with this XO, but when i was prototyping XO ideas with the DCX2496 i had them +/- 2 dB (in room) from 25 Hz to 15 kHz (above that the length of my mic cable rolls things off -- Fostex claims response to 32k)
5/ there are a large number of FRs suitable for mid-tweeter duty and i'd suggest that bass driver is not overly critical as long as it is pretty extended, If you want to patch tohether a passive XO you do have to start worrying about sensitivity.

dave

planet10 said:

This year i'll try to have them with EnABLed drivers.

dave

Dave,

That would be great.
I didn't get to try the A/B test with the EnABLed drivers...will you have that set up as well?
I'm looking forward to hearing the Tysen speakers, I was really interested in those as they resembled some ideas I had been kicking around, but never followed up on. You and Chris are to be commended!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.